Tips and Tricks
Contest: Secret Spots and First Impressions
We'd like to invite you to share your photos of Metro Vancouver's secret spots. Do you have a great hidden lunch location on campus that nobody knows about? Is there a busy perch in downtown Vancouver that lets you people watch all day while working on your thesis? Do you have a great walking neighbourhood? Is there an event or festival that you can't miss?
This contest isn't just for current students and grad student alumni.
We're welcoming about a thousand new graduate students in September, and each person will have different first impressions of the university and the city. If you're a new student, we hope you'll send in photos of your impressions: Did you see something that reminded you of home, or something that was far outside your experiences?
Wherever it is, we invite you to:
- take a photo of it, or of yourself or your family and friends in it
- write a little bit about where it is (50-100 words)
- and then send your photo and words into our contest
As in last year's contest, we'll post the photo submissions on our website so that everyone can see your favourite secret spots.
- 1st prize: $150 Best Buy gift certificate
- 2nd prize: $100 Best Buy gift certificate
- 3rd prize: $50 SFU bookstore gift certificate
- Honourable Mentions: $25 gift certificate for Renaissance Coffee (8 available)
Contest closes Monday October 8, 2012, at midnight.
A panel of judges will review and select the winning entries.
How to Enter
Complete the online submission form (one submission per photo please)
Email your photo(s) to email@example.com with the subject line “ Grad Secret Spots Photo Contest” and your name (i.e. “Grad Secret Spots Photo Contest: Lily Wang”).
- Contest is open to current and on-leave SFU graduate students and postdoctoral fellows, and alumni who were graduate students.
- You may submit a maximum of three photos but will not be able to win multiple times.
- Photos must be the highest resolution possible so that it can be used for print and web reproduction. Please save your photo in .jpeg or .jpg format. One submission via the websurvey is required per photo.
- By submitting your photo to the contest, you must agree that you are the photographer or have obtained permission to use the photo (if the latter, include the photographer’s name); you have permission to take the photo of the selected location and individuals, and have their permission to enter the photo in this contest; and as the photographer, you retain copyright to the photo submitted, but give unlimited and unrestricted permission for Simon Fraser University to use and reproduce the image for free in any media for promotional and/or informational materials.
If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Here are some of the photos we've received so far!
- Secret Spots Photo Contest: Winning Entries
- Contest Entry: Senthil Velan Venkatesan
- Contest Entry: Hao Wang
- Contest Entry: Bicram Rijal
- Contest Entry: Ramasamy Meyyappan
- Contest Entry: Misha Bajwa
- Contest Entry: Tara Walton
- Contest Entry: Jenny Wong
- Contest Entry: Emmanuel Krebs
- Contest Entry: Omid Alemi
- Contest Entry: Hanbo Li
- Contest Entry: Jasmine Kastner
- Contest Entry: Sarah Inglis
- Contest Entry: Jack Yang
- Contest Entry: Maria Fedorova
- Contest Entry: Pradeep Reddy
- Contest Entry: Chantelle Lachance
- Contest Entry: Samantha Fischer
- Contest Entry: Lamrot Lulseged
Tags: tips & tricks