Tips and Tricks
President's Dream Colloquium Video: Rob Williams
The recording of Dr. Rob Williams' lecture for the Spring 2013 President's Dream Colloquium on Justice Beyond National Boundaries is now available. Note: The presentation begins at the 8 minute mark. A 30 minute Q&A session follows his presentation.
Throughout the centuries, conquest, war, and unspeakable acts of racist violence and colonial dispossession have all been justified by citing Western civilization's fundamental opposition to the irreconcilable differences represented by indigenous tribal peoples.
This Colloquium presentation is based on Professor Williams' recently published book, Savage Anxieties: The Invention of Western Civilization. In the lecture, he will explore the history and consequences of the denial of indigenous peoples' human rights to lands and resources in the West from the time of the ancient Greeks and Romans up through Canada's 21st century treaty negotiations with First Nations in British Columbia and its 2007 vote against the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
We have two more lectures in the President's Dream Colloquium and seats are available for all of the lectures. Please RSVP if you'd like to attend, as we use these reservations to determine if we need to move the lecture to a larger facility. Free wine and cheese reception follows the lecture.
Other lectures in the President's Dream Colloquium on Justice Beyond National Boundaries
- President's Dream Colloquium Video: Anke Hoeffler
- President's Dream Colloquium Video: Rob Williams
- President's Dream Colloquium Video: Melissa Williams
- President's Dream Colloquium Video: Mark Jaccard
- Free Public Lecture: Rob Williams on Global Justice, First Nations' Land Claims, and Indigenous Peoples' Human Rights under International Law
- Free Public Lecture: Melissa Williams on Globalizing Global Justice
- President's Dream Colloquium Video: Tom Christiano
- Free Public Lecture: Mark Jaccard on Global Warming - Global Justice
- President's Dream Colloquium Video: Kit Wellman
- Free Public Lecture: Tom Christiano on Fairness and Legitimacy in International Law-Making
Tags: tips & tricks