Job and Volunteer Postings
Volunteers needed for orientation tours
On August 30, the GSS will be hosting Orientation 2013 with the Dean of Graduate Studies Office and we are looking for volunteers to help us with Burnaby campus tours.
Orientation 2013 is going to be better than ever with an all-day conference-style event that will provide comprehensive and pertinent information for our new students. We have over 140 students already confirmed to attend!
Campus tours are traditionally the most popular part of any orientation as it is often the first time many students will have ever been on campus. We are looking for current graduate students who are eager to help these new students integrate into the SFU community.
Volunteers will be responsible for guiding the tours around campus and informing the students about important spots and answering questions about SFU. Volunteers will be trained on how to provide awesome tours. We need approximately 6–10 volunteers.
Here are some of the details:
- orientation day: Friday August 30
- tours will take 1 hr 15 minutes each
- tours are scheduled at 10:45 am (5 tour guides needed), 1:45 pm (2 tour guides needed), and 2:30 pm (2 tour guides needed)
- each tour will have approximately 10–15 new graduate students
- lunch will be provided to volunteers
You would be perfect for this job if you:
- love meeting new people
- enjoy helping others
- aren't afraid to use your "outside voice"
- have a positive attitude
- want to help build community on campus
Volunteer training will be scheduled according the availability of our volunteers. We will teach you all you need to know about delivering the tour, but some familiarity with the Burnaby campus would be a great foundation.