Tips and Tricks
Tax Information for Graduate Students
March 11, 2015
New to Canada?
Because you asked, we've also provided a brief overview of the Canadian tax system - see Income Taxes for International Graduate Students.
If you have questions or need assistance filing your tax return:
- On Wednesday March 4th, 11:30am - 1:00pm, the Office of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Fellows is organizing "Let's Talk Taxes: Support for International Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Fellows". Registration is now open.
- The SFU Accounting Students Association runs a free tax-filing service, run by CRA-trained volunteers each March/April. It is very popular, and fills up quickly. Check their website for details and registration deadlines.
- The Simon Fraser Student Society is also hosting two tax filing clinics on February 13 and March 18.
- There are also Volunteer Tax Preparation Clinics and numerous accounting firms operating around the the city.
Canada Revenue Agency: Useful Links
- Canadian Students and Income Tax (video)
- International Students and Income Tax (video)
- Newcomers to Canada (immigrants - video)
- Student Series: What's In It For Me (video)
- Are you an international student studying in Canada? (fact sheet)
- Newcomer to Canada publication T4055
- Students & Income Tax publication P105(E)
- Scholarships, Research Grants and Other Education Assistance Tax Income Tax Folio: S1-F2-C3
Tags: tips & tricks;