Graduate Studies News
New changes in thesis and dissertation copyright procedures
The following is a posting on behalf of SFU's Library and Research Commons
Effective 1 May 2015, a single non-exclusive copyright license will replace the former requirement for students to sign both a Partial Copyright License (SFU) and a Theses Non-Exclusive License (LAC). The new license is required for graduate students submitting theses and dissertations in the Summer 2015 term forward. Spring 2015 submissions will not be affected by this change in form requirements. The new license and further details about its use are available on the theses webpages.
Thesis Template and Resources Workshop for Graduate Students
This demonstration introduces you to the Thesis Submission process and the Thesis Template. It will begin with an introduction to required copyright permissions from the Copyright Office at SFU, followed by a review of the overall submission process (including deadlines and supporting documentation). The technical part of the workshop will follow, where you will be walked through the resources on the website and the functionality of the thesis template. Students are encouraged to bring their own computer and thesis document(s) to work along with the facilitator during the workshop.
Learn how to:
- request copyright permissions
- write in the MS Word template-based file
- format your text using styles
- bring text in from other documents
- insert figures, images, and auto-numbered captions
- generate the Table of Contents, List of Tables, List of Figures, etc.
If you’ve begun writing, send your document to firstname.lastname@example.org in advance of the workshop; one might be used in demonstrating the Library’s thesis template. After the session, the formatted document will be returned in which the student can continue his/her work. The dates for the workshop are listed below.
- Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 10:00am to 12:00pm, Burnaby, Bennett Library, Research Commons, Seminar Rm 7010
- Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 5:30pm to 7:30pm, Vancouver Harbour Centre Rm 1510
- Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 1:30pm to 3:30pm, Burnaby, Bennett Library, Research Commons, Seminar Rm 7010
- Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 10:00am to 12:00pm, Burnaby, Bennett Library, Research Commons, Seminar Rm 7010