Tips and Tricks

Social Insurance Numbers for International Employees

August 17, 2015

New international graduate students who will be teaching assistants (TAs), research assistants (RAs) or hold any other employment contract must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN) in order to get paid.

To get your SIN, apply in person at a Service Canada office. Offices are generally open Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm (hours vary slightly, check their website for details and holiday closures).

The step-by-step application instructions (pdf) are available from International Services for Students.  If everything is in order, you will get your SIN during your visit. (no card, just a number).

What to Bring

  • Original valid Study Permit (must include the notation“may accept employment” or “may work” in Canada) or
    OR a valid Work Permit (if applicable)
  • There is no cost for first-time applicants

The closest Service Canada offices for each campus:

If you're taking public transportation, see the Translink Trip Planner to help you plan the best route.

No comments yet

Recent Blog Posts

  • Job Search Success Online Course October 18, 2017
    Work Integrated Learning is offering an online professional writing and intercultural communication course! Fall session runs October 30 to November 27, 2017.

  • Spring 2018 Certificate Program in University Teaching and Learning October 18, 2017
    This part-time program presented by SFU's Teaching and Learning Centre will give you a deeper understanding of how to approach teaching, along with practical skills that you can apply as a teaching assistant or instructor. Apply by October 20, 2017.

  • Alexander von Humboldt Foundation Presentation October 16, 2017
    Dr. Chris Orvig will be visiting the SFU Burnaby campus to present on the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation of Germany. The foundation has extremely generous programs for both postdocs and faculty members, sponsoring stays in Germany for many research fields.

View Posts by Category