Job Posting: SFU Gerontology - part-time Research Assistants (Punjabi or Cantonese speaking) 2 positions available
The following post is on behalf of SFU's Gerontology Department.
SFU's Gerontology Department is currently looking for two bilingual Research Assistants (both must be fluent in English, one will also speak Punjabi, the other Cantonese) to work on a pilot study entitled, ‘Meanings attributed to Family Councils and related concepts by immigrant residents of long-term care and their family carers’ (Sept. 2015-June 2016).
Daily duties of the successful candidate will include:
- Translation from English into Punjabi/Chinese of a description of the study purpose and methods and consent forms (optional - if written proficiency is not strong, I can contract this out).
- Recruitment of residents of long-term care who speak these languages and their family members.
- In-depth dialogic interviews with residents and their family members that simultaneously explore (a) the indivisible identity markers that underlie people’s experiences of intersecting oppressions such as ageism, sexism, and racism and (b) the meanings they attribute to Family Councils as well as the potential outcomes of participation in them – i.e. family inclusion, quality of care and quality of life.
- Simultaneous translation and transcription of recorded interviews into English
- Thematic coding of interviews with qualitative data management software, NVivo 10®. Training will be provided, but some experience with this software is preferable. Familiarity with qualitative research methods and coding of qualitative research (possibly with different software) is essential.
Our budget allows for 285 hours of work divided between the two RAs (while we hope for an even split between the two languages , this will depend on the representation of those language groups in the residential care site in which the research will take place). The net rate of pay is $25.20/ hour, which includes 12% benefits. Additional funds are available for written translations of ethics documents.
If you are interested in this position, please send an updated CV and a cover letter explaining why you are ideal for the position by next Friday, Sept. 25th, 2015 to Dr. Sharon Koehn at email@example.com .
Tags: Job Posting