Tips and Tricks
Library Study Rooms at the Burnaby Campus
If you've completed all degree requirements except your thesis, you may be eligible to book a lockable study room at the WAC Bennett Library on the Burnaby campus. The study rooms are located just behind the flags in the photo above, and most have small windows that look over Convocation Mall.
Study rooms are available for master's or doctoral students writing their theses under the following conditions:
- the student has completed all degree requirements except the thesis;
- the student will be registered full-time; and
- the student will not be employed at the university (other than as a TA/TM or RA)
Reminder: Study rooms are intended for students in the final writing phase of their thesis dissertation and who are intending on spending a significant amount of time using library resources. Additionally, students who have used a room for one or more terms will have low priority for future use.
The Library Study Room Application must be completed by the graduate student and and the student's senior supervisor to be considered complete. Incomplete applications may not be accepted.
- You must include an unofficial transcript that shows you are registered for the upcoming semester
- Your application package (completed form and transcript) should be submitted by email to email@example.com, or delivered to the Graduate Studies Office, MBC 1100
- If your supervisor is unable to sign the form because s/he is out of town, we will accept an email from your supervisor that shows you meet all the conditions set out on the form
November 15th for the spring semester
March 15th for the summer semester
July 15th for the fall semester
After that deadline, applications will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis until all study rooms have been filled.
- Although you may lock your library study room when it is not in use, please note that other University staff members have keys that will open your office, and from time to time may need to access it to check for missing or lost books, etc.
- The Library is not responsible for any valuables in your room that may go missing or be stolen. Please do not leave anything valuable unattended in this room as its security cannot be guaranteed.
- Please check out any books that you leave in your office. Do not leave journals or non-circulating books in your office. This is a courtesy, which you should extend to other students who may also want to use these same library materials.
- Your library study room is not sound proof and is located in a designated Quiet Study Area. Please be considerate of other students who may be studying in the area. Conversations and other noise made in your room can be heard by students studying outside your room (and vice versa).
- Please use the electrical outlets only for lamps or laptop computers, because the electrical circuits will not support many watts.
- You may access and use your Library study room only during the hours that the Library is open.
Tags: tips and tricks