Convocation Medal Winners 2016
Congratulations to this year’s Convocation Medal Winners! They will receive their awards at our Spring Convocation, June 7–10, 2016.
Governor General’s Gold Medals
The Governor General’s Gold Medals are awarded to the two SFU graduate students who achieve the highest academic standing upon graduation from a master’s or doctoral degree program.
- Dr. Shenwei Huang (China), PhD, Computing Science. Dissertation: Colouring on hereditary graph classes (see travel report)
- Dr. Amelie Pedneault (Canada), PhD, Criminology. Dissertation: An analysis of decision making and criminal outcomes in sexual offenders
Dean of Graduate Studies Convocation Medals
The Convocation Medals for graduate studies recognize graduating students from each faculty whose cumulative grade-point averages place them in the top five per cent of their class.
- Dr. King Chung (Ziggy) Hui (Canada), EdD, Education. Dissertation: Helping Internationally-Trained Professionals Make the Transition to New Careers in Canada: A case study of the S.U.C.C.E.S.S. Employment Mentoring Program
- Dr. Sara Ejtemaee (Iran), PhD, Physics. Dissertation: Dynamics of Trapped Ions Near the Linear-Zigzag Structural Phase Transition
- Dylan Gatner (Canada), MA, Psychology. Thesis: Investigating the Role of Boldness in the Conceptualization of Psychopathy
- Dr. Nathan Jones (Canada), Management of Technology MBA, Beedie School of Business. Project: A Strategic Analysis of Evo Car Share
- Dr. Rosemin Kassam (Canada), PhD, Health Sciences. Dissertation: Caregivers’ Treatment-Seeking Behaviors for Malaria in Children Five and Under: A Field Study in Uganda’s Butaleja District
- Dr. William Ko (Canada), PhD, Mathematics. Dissertation: Parametric Resonance in Immersed Elastic Structures, with Application to the Cochlea
- Dr. Sarah Nickel (Canada), PhD, History. Dissertation: "United We Stand, Divided We Perish": Negotiating Pan-Tribal Unity in the Union of BC Indian Chiefs
- Dr. Efe Peker (Turkey), PhD, Sociology/Anthropology. Dissertation: A Comparative-Historical Sociology of Secularisation: Republican State Building in France (1875–1905) and Turkey (1908–1938)
- Dr. Andrew Perkins (Canada), PhD, Geography. Dissertation: Refining the Pattern and Style of Deglaciation on the Southern Fraser Plateau and Environs
- Dr. Robert Prey (Canada), PhD, Communications. Dissertation: “Now Playing. You”: Big Data and the Production of Music Streaming Space
- Dr. Magdalena Rudkowski (Canada), PhD, Education. Dissertation: The Complexity of Understanding: Young Children’s Experiences in a Forest Program
- Amir Valibeygi (Iran), MASc, Mechatronics Systems Engineering. Dissertation: Optimal Nonlinear Adaptive Observers for State, Parameter and Fault Estimation