Scholarships and Awards
External Award: International Policy Ideas Challenge 2017
Global Affairs Canada (GAC), in collaboration with the Social Science and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) is now accepting proposals for the 2017 International Policy Ideas Challenge.
Ten winning proposals will receive funding of $3000 to develop a final policy brief that will be presented by the researcher(s) at the GAC symposium during the SSHRC Knowledge Summit in Ottawa this November. Each project will receive up to an additional $800 for cost of travel to the presentation session.
The challenge is open to graduate students and postdoctoral fellows who are citizens or permanent residents of Canada.
- Not exceed 750 words;
- Offer solutions addressing the connections between at least two of the three policy areas under GAC's mandate — foreign policy, trade, and international development;
- Be related to one of the research priority themes (see below);
- Explain why the issue should matter to policy makers;
- Sketch out the idea and preliminary policy implications;
- Include a brief methodology;
- Draw out original perspectives and innovative solutions.
Priority Themes for 2017 Challenge:
- Strengthening Canada's relations with major traditional and emerging partners;
- Applying a Gender-Based Analysis Plus approach to Canada's global engagement;
- Strengthening Canada's capacity to meet its goals and major international commitments, in particular the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development; the Paris Agreement on climate change; the New Deal for Engagement in Fragile States; The UN Security Council Resolution 1325 on Women, Peace and Security; and the Global Compacts on refugees and migration;
- Identifying best ways for Canada to support fragile and conflict-affected states;
- Advancing Canada's progressive trade agenda in a way that promotes Canada's prosperity, while supporting inclusive growth and sustainable development globally;
- Populism, extremism, and challenges to governance and democratic development.
Tags: Scholarships and Awards;