APEX: Building your Online Presence
Thinking about how an online presence can support your career exploration and growth? Wondering how important it is to tend to your social media sites?
Deanne Esdale of SFU's Career Services will walk you through how to make meaning of the variety of ways to share your messages online. You will learn about what kinds of content to curate, which stories to tell, and on which platforms as well as how to be intentional about expanding connections and build authentic relationships, and how to to stand out with potential employers and funders.
- When: Wednesday, February 22nd, 2:30 pm - 4:00 pm
- Where: Saywell Hall, 10061
- Register: Please register using myInvolvement
The last 30 minutes of this workshop includes time to update your social media sites/profiles, either in pairs or groups, and receive targeted feedback from the facilitator.
To prepare for this session, please:
1.Google yourself. Try searching different iterations of your name. Take note of what appears on the first 2 pages. Are the results indicative of what you would want an employer to see? Is there anything you wouldn't want employers to see? Is there content that you can curate or create to support the messages that you prefer to see?
2. Do some online research into sites like LinkedIn, websites, blogs and social media. What do you see that you like? Is there a platform that you prefer? What are your concerns about where to share your information?
3. Set up a LinkedIn Account and review the LinkedIn profile tips below. This is optional but we will spend time talking about how to use this site effectively. 433 million members must be on to something.
Tags: professional development