Job and Volunteering Postings
Job Posting: ISTLD Research Assistant
Institute for the Study of Teaching and Learning in the Disciplines (ISTLD) and Faculty of Health Sciences invites applications for a Research Assistant appointment for the Teaching and Learning Development Grant project Decolonizing the scientific method in a first year breadth science course.
Start Date: Oct 2018, exact date TBD
Salary: $20 - $25/hr (incl. vacation and statutory holiday pay, no medical or dental benefits) - based on experience, qualifications and degree program (Masters or Doctoral level)
Time Commitment: up to 240 hours
Deadline: October 15, 2018
- Information search to identify content on local Indigenous knowledge gathering practices and plants used in traditional Indigenous medicine. Information may be found as literature or disseminated through interviews with traditional healers.
- Write and implement a survey that uncovers student attitude shifts with respect to Western and Indigenous science and knowledge systems
- Assist with ethics review application
- Assist with developing lesson plans and teaching tools
- Assist with assessment and rubric design
- Analysis of final data and assist with drafting a final report
- Attend regular team meetings
- Maintain clear records of all work completed
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of Indigenous cultures and traditions
- Ability to exercise cultural sensitivity when interacting with members of Indigenous communities
- Currently enrolled in a graduate program (MSc, MA, MEd or PhD) at SFU
- Works well independently
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Experience with qualitative data analyses
- Experience with instrument design (specifically surveys, grading rubrics)
- Experience with qualitative data analysis using software such as NVivo
- Ability to use Microsoft Office suite
Experience and skills that would be an asset:
- Experience with education research
- a 1-page cover letter structured to address the qualifications, skills, and responsibilities as listed above, this should include a description of 1 – 2 projects that exemplify your fit for this position,
- a 1-2 page résumé with two references listed.
- These two items should be organized as one PDF attachment and addressed to Nienke van Houten, and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with “RA application – Decolonizing Science” in the subject line.
Note: References will only be requested from short-listed applicants. Complete applications received by October 15th are assured of full consideration.
For more information, visit the online posting or see the job posting below: