Job and Volunteering Postings
Bamfield Marine Sciences Center Opportunities for Graduate Students
The Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre (BMSC) is a teaching and research facility located in Bamfield, British Columbia, and is owned by UVIC, UBC, SFU, UAlberta, and UCalgary. They have several opportunities for graduate students this year.
Job Postings - Apply to TA a Summer or Fall field course at BMSC (Application deadline: March 1 & 31)
BMSC hires Teaching Assistants for both its Summer and Fall Program courses.
- Summer course applications due March 1, 2019,
- Fall Semester course applications due April 30, 2019.
Ideal TA applicants are currently registered graduate students familiar with the course content and Barkley Sound.
Applicants from member universities will be given priority.
For field courses that require students to be transported by boats, see Duties & Requirements.
Workshops in GIS & R - Beginner & specialized workshops in February & May
Feb 25, 2019 - Mar 1, 2019: Introduction to spatial ecology and analyses in GIS – 5 day workshop
Apr 29, 2019 - May 3, 2019: Introduction to Data Analysis with R Workshop
May 6, 2019 - May 9, 2019: Mixed Effects Models and GLMs with R (4-Day Workshop)
Graduate-level course in Biology - Research Methods in Coastal Wildlife, Instructed by Dr. Jason Fisher (Application Deadline: March 1, 2019)
Research Methods in Coastal Wildlife takes students through all the steps of ecological research:
- forming good, testable questions;
- turning questions into hypotheses;
- creating sampling designs;
- statistical tests of hypotheses; and
- seating results into the body of ecological theory. Moving daily from classroom concepts to boat-based field work, this is more than a whale-watching course;
For more information, visit bmsc website.