Events and Conferences
Call for Abstracts: UBC/SFU Indigenous Graduate Student Symposium
This graduate student-led symposium will be attended by Keynote Grand Chief Stewart Phillip, (Syilx/Okanagan, Penticton Indian Band), President of the Union of BC Indian Chiefs, Chair Okanagan Nation Alliance. Honourable Chief Stewart’s lifelong commitment has been to enhance and reclaim Indigenous rights and land entitlement. His firm stance on exploitation of Indigenous spiritual entities has emanated across national and global boundaries. For decades, Chief Stewart has advocated for the commitment to preserving and protecting land, waterways and the environment for future generations. He received an honourary Doctor of Laws (LLD.) from UBC in November 2018.
Graduate students are encouraged to share their findings, immerse each other in dialogue and engage in how we can address the concerns of Reclamation, Restoration and Resurgence. The following guiding questions may also be addressed as a significant contribution to this symposium:
- In the academe how can Indigenous protocols be recognized in a respectful manner, thus overcoming the notion of tokenism as depicted from non-Indigenous perspectives?
- How can policy development and implementation assist and support Indigenous epistemological views in educational settings (i.e. teacher training, curricula)?
- Discuss the importance of social justice education for healing, acknowledging cultural identity, or leadership and empowerment in respect to maintaining a mutual understanding between Indigenous and western knowledge systems.
- What partnerships or alliances are necessary in academia for Eurocentric or western views not to be viewed as privileged in the academe? How can we Indigenize the academe?
- What current social movements or trends have played a significant role in creating awareness of Indigenous rights, legal claims and self-determination?
- Date: Fri. March 15, 2019 5 – 8 pm (Social); Sat. March 16, 2019 8 am – 4 pm (Presentations)
- Location: SFU Woodward’s Goldcorp Centre for the Arts 149 West Hastings St.
- Keynote Speaker: Chief Stewart Phillip
The committee is accepting abstract submissions, submit your proposal abstract to firstname.lastname@example.org by Jan 11, 2019.
For more information, see the event poster and proposal guildance below: