The Centre for Academic and Professional Engagement (CAPE) team members in the Office of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Fellows are involved in many activities.
- Student orientations and welcome events
- Postdoc appreciation and networking events
- Helping students from the moment of acceptance through convocation through virtual orientation, online forums, emails and blog posts with opportunities for students
- Support for SFU’s Postdoctoral Association
- Facilitates the SPICES program that supports student-led community engagement
- APEX Certificate Program
- Career Cafés
- Hosting MITACS workshops
- The Work Workout, professional profiles, CVs and skills for successfully entering the job market
- Lunch and learn sessions
- 3 Minute Thesis competition
- The President's Dream Colloquium
- Building mentorship and community connections through outreach events
To contact any of our staff, please submit a request in our online help system.
Associate Dean, Students
Jeff Derksen, MA, PhD (University of Calgary)
Manages graduate student issues, including supervision; develops scholarship workshops and professional skills programs.
Gladys We, MA
Responsible for the graduate studies website, blog and assists with strategic communications.
Coordinator, Postdoctoral Affairs & Professional Development Programs
Coordinates and supports the development of professional development programs, and provides support to postdoctoral fellows.
Graduate Studies Coordinator
Develops programs and services to support graduate students.
Indigenous Graduate Student Programs Coordinator
Develops programs and services to support Indigenous graduate students.
Marketing and Communications Associate Co-op Student
Assists with the graduate studies website, blog and events.
Graduate application problems — To request help with your online application, please submit a request in our online help system.