President's Dream Colloquium on Understanding Medical Marijuana
News: December 13, 2016
Release of the Final Report of the Task Force on Cannabis Legalization and Regulation
- News release on the Task Force report
- Report: A Framework for the Legalization and Regulation of Cannabis
- CBC News article (includes browsable report)
- PDF of the Final Report
- Text of the Final Report
The cannabis plant (Cannabis sativa), family Cannabaceae, commonly known as marijuana, has been cultivated by humans since the beginning of recorded history and has been used as a medicinal and mood altering agent as far back as 7,000 B.C.
While some modern societies continue to indulge in the common use of marijuana, a ban on the plant's cultivation and use still exists in many countries worldwide.
The Government of Canada is cautiously moving to remove the prohibition of marijuana, starting with new regulations for medical marijuana which were announced in August 2016.
Please join us for a series of free public talks by global experts in the field of medical marijuana.
We will review the current state of research on the general topic of marijuana for medical purposes, provide space for an informed discussion on the legal aspects of marijuana use and provide perspectives from the licensed production, genetics, pharmaceutical utility, medical profession, and human behavioural aspects of marijuana.
Most lectures will take place at SFU's Burnaby campus. The March 23 and April 6 lecture will take place at SFU Vancouver. campus locations.
There will be a networking session after each lecture.
Reservations for the lectures are now opened.
- Ethan Russo, MD, Medical Director, PHYTECS, Los Angeles, CA, former Senior Medical Advisor, GW Pharmaceuticals, UK, former president of International Cannabinoid Research Society, and former chairman of International Association for Cannabinoid Medicines. Talk: Pharmacology of Cannabis. Thursday, January 26, 4:00–5:30 pm, SFU Burnaby. Please reserve your seats online.
- Dr. Jonathan Page, Founder, President and Chief Scientific Officer of Anandia Labs, Adjunct Professor, Botany Department UBC. Talk: Secrets of the Cannabis Genome. Thursday, February 9, 4:00–5:30 pm, SFU Burnaby. Please reserve your seats online.
- Dr. Francesca Filbey, Director of Cognitive Neuroscience of Addictive Behaviors, Center for Brain Health, University of Texas at Dallas. Talk: Marijuana and the Brain - From Addiction to Neuroscience. Thursday, February 23, 4:00–5:30 pm, SFU Burnaby. Please reserve your seats online.
- Dr. Mark Ware, MD, Associate Professor, Family Medicine and Anesthesia, McGill University, Director of Clinical Research at Alan Edwards Pain Management Unit, McGill University Health Centre. Talk: Cannabis and Pain Management. Thursday, March 2, 4:00–5:30 pm, SFU Burnaby. Please reserve your seats online.
- The Honourable A. Anne McLellan, P.C., O.C., A.O.E.; Chair, Task Force on Marijuana Legalization and Regulation; former Deputy Prime Minister of Canada; Chancellor, Dalhousie University. Talk: Update on the Cannabis Legalization Task Force. Thursday, March 23, 7.00-8:30 pm, SFU Vancouver.
- Dr. Beau Kilmer, Senior Policy Researcher and Co-Director of RAND Drug Policy Research Centre; Professor, Pardee RAND Graduate School. Talk: Marijuana Legalization 2017. Thursday April 6, 7.00-8:30 pm, SFU Vancouver. Please reserve your seats online.
Please join the email list for information on the President's Dream Colloquium.
Send a message to email@example.com with the words "subscribe pdc-info" in the subject line. You don't need anything in the body of the message.
To leave the mailing list
Send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words "unsubscribe pdc-info" in the subject line. You don't need anything in the body of the message.
The President's Dream Colloquium on Medical Marijuana is generously funded by: