President's Dream Colloquium on Making Knowledge Public
How is public policy shaped by research? How is the public already actively involved in science? How is research and scholarship taken up by the public?
Canadian researchers managed to emerge from the frying pan that was the government-led "war on science" only to find themselves in the fire of the post-truth era. It is tempting, for those whose job is to formally create knowledge, to turn away from a society that is hostile to their identity as researchers, scholars, or scientists.
In today's climate, it is more important than ever for universities and researchers to assert themselves in the public sphere in more purposeful ways. This colloquium is part of that effort.
It seeks to speak a conversation between the SFU community and the citizens of Metro Vancouver on the value of university-based research, while itself demonstrating that value.
We invite you to join us in "Making Knowledge Public" to better understand the relationships that lie at the heart of the community-engaged university, both at SFU and around the world, and also join in the conversations.
Most lectures will take place at SFU's Burnaby campus, a couple of lectures taking place at SFU Vancouver.
There will be a networking session after each lecture.
Reservations for the lectures are coming soon as more speakers are confirmed.
- Jevin West, Co-creator of Calling Bullshit Course, University of Washington. Calling Bullshit on Fake News
- Speaker TBA, Value of Research in Public Policy
- John Borrows, Canada Research Chair in Indigenous Law, Collaborating with Indigenous Communities in Research
- Shannon Dosemagen, Citizen Science
- Hebe Vessuri, Social anthropologist. Global participation in Knowledge Production
- Robin DeRosa, Professor and Director, Interdisciplinary Studies, The Future of Public Mission of Universities
Initial applications accepted now until June 22, 2018.
Space in this course is limited.
We will continue to accept applications until the first week of class or when seats are filled.
Please join the email list for information on the President's Dream Colloquium.
Send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words "subscribe pdc-info" in the subject line. You don't need anything in the body of the message.
To leave the mailing list
Send a message to email@example.com with the words "unsubscribe pdc-info" in the subject line. You don't need anything in the body of the message.