Visiting Graduate Research Students


The following rules apply to visiting graduate research students at Simon Fraser University.

  • To be considered eligible to apply as a visiting graduate research student, you must be registered full-time at your home institution in a master’s or doctoral program, in good academic standing, and proficient in the English language.
  • SFU does not charge tuition fees to visiting graduate research students, but they will be asked to pay fees to cover student activity fees and the U-Pass BC transit pass.
  • Visiting graduate research students may not take graduate or undergraduate courses while attending SFU. Students from other institutions who wish to take courses may apply as exchange students (see graduate general regulation 1.3.9) or as non-degree students (see graduate general regulation 1.3.7).
  • Visiting graduate research students must be able to demonstrate adequate hospital and medical coverage for the duration of their stay. Or, provide proof of alternative coverage.
  • All visiting graduate research students must register for GRAD 800. This course carries no credit and will not be graded. Registration in this course is done by the Office of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Fellows.