Visiting Graduate Research Students


If you have been officially accepted as a visiting research student at SFU, please contact Alina Roman at to obtain detailed instructions on how to apply for a visa.

  • Check the average processing times and apply early. The entire process can take up to six months and some Canadian visa offices may have deadlines for processing applications. 
  • Determine how and where you will apply. See the Citzenship and Immigration Canada website for information about the process. If you choose to apply by paper rather than online, visit the CIC website for country-specific instructions on required documents. You should also consult the Canadian visa office responsible for your region.
  • US Citizens: If you are a citizen or permanent resident of the USA, you have the option of applying online or submitting your application upon your arrival at a Canadian Port-of-Entry (e.g., your airport of arrival or land crossing into Canada).

Documents Required From SFU

  • After your complete visiting research student application has been submitted by the department inviting you, you will receive an Offer of Admission  letter from the Office of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Fellows. This will be sent electronically, followed up with a hard copy by mail. Both are considered official and can be used to apply for your study permit.