News & Updates
This monthly update is sent to SFU graduate students and postdoctoral fellows.
Request to join
Email: gps-gradupdates, Subject: Subscribe. Body Message: Subscribe. Follow instructions in confirmation email.
Request to unsubscribe:
Email: gps-gradupdates, Subject: Unsubscribe. Body Message: Unsubscribe.
Internal & Donor Funded Awards
- 2020 CERi Faculty-Student Research Program - Apply by July 15
The grants are financial rewards of up to $5,000 for research-related expenses and are intended for one semester or one 4-month research period.
- Most Internal & Donor Funded Awards are applied for through the Graduate Awards & Adjudication System (gradawards.sfu.ca). Log in and complete your profile so you can easily search for and apply for awards as they become available.
- GA3 TIP: Be sure to upload an updated version of your transcripts and update your GA3 Profile before you apply for any awards. The new information will populate your award applications.
- Graduate Fellowships are valued up to $6,500. Deadlines vary. Search GA3 to see availability.
- External Dissertation Awards recognize students who are graduating with outstanding thesis dissertations at master's and doctoral levels
- Tri-Agency Awards (CIHR, NSERC & SSHRC) - Visit the Award Holder Resources page on the Scholarships and Awards section of our website to find out how to accept, defer, interrupt your award payments.
- Mitacs Accelerate supports collaborative research between grad students or postdocs and non-academic partners, including industry and eligible not-for-profit organizations. You can create your own research partnership, paid at $10,000–15,000 per term. The program is open to all academic disciplines; applications are non-competitive. Apply anytime.
- Mitacs Accelerate International provides up to $15,000 for research with a company anywhere in the world. Apply anytime.
- Mitacs Globalink Research Awards provide $6,000 travel funding for research collaborations of 12-24 weeks at a university in any of Mitacs’ partner countries. Learn more about eligible destinations and award details. Multiple rolling deadlines a year.
- Left & Mitacs Research Grant offers 16 post graduate positions, alongside co-op positions, over the next 3 years. Various deadlines.
Questions about anything Mitacs-related? Please email SFU’s Mitacs rep, Allison Brennan, at email@example.com. Allison is available to meet at any of SFU's campuses.
The following awards are applied for through SFU:
- Women in Technology & Indigenous Women in Technology Scholarships offer ten $10,000 awards. Apply by July 6, 2020.
- Vanier CGS competition now open
Please check our website later this week for internal deadlines and competition timeline
- Zero-Emission Vehicles Project by the Pacific Institute for Climate Solutions is accepting proposal applications. A total of $180,000 is distributed among different projects. Apply by August 4, 2020.
- Isabel Loucks Foster Public Health Bursary Fund, valued up to $5,000, supports post-graduate studies in public/community health. Apply by August 30, 2020.
- The British Columbia (B.C.) Associated Boards of Health Dr. Ken Benson Memorial Bursary provides up to $5,000 to post-graduate students in public/community health. Apply by August 30, 2020.
- Wounded Warriors Doctoral Scholarship in Military and Veteran Health Research awards $18,000/year for 2 years to a Doctoral level student conducting research on issues relevant to military members, Veterans and families. Apply by August 31, 2020.
- The Dr. Mark Zamorski Award awards $5,000 to a postgraduate student to enhance their specialization in epidemiological and mental health problems in military personnel, Veterans and /or their families. Apply by August 31, 2020.
- CAAIF-CSACI Research Fellowship in Allergy and Clinical Immunology, valued at $50,000 funds postdoctoral research for one year. Apply by August 31, 2020.
- McCall MacBain Scholarships
Up to 20 McCall MacBain Scholarships will be offered to students to begin their studies at McGill in the fall of 2021. Interested candidates must plan to apply for Summer/Fall 2021 admission to an eligible full-time master’s or professional program at McGill University. Apply by September 24, 2020.
- The John W. Davies Memorial Award supports a full-time graduate student whose research informs solutions to problems encountered in the Arctic or in cold ocean environments. The extended deadline is on November 20, 2020.
- RADIUS Opportunities, a list of RADIUS opportunities which includes funding, a fellowship, labs, and more; various deadlines
- IGH Funding Opportunities, trainee Travel Award, Transitions in Care (Team Grant), Transitions in Care - Evaluation Grants (Operating Grant); various deadlines
- Translink Mobility Grant, up to $50,000 to academics looking to conduct research projects related to new mobility; no deadline
- Data Incubator 8-week fellowships for grad students looking to enter industry, any discipline (Why they don't care about your discipline), rolling deadlines
- NSERC Student Ambassador, $1,000 grant for post-secondary students and fellows to share their science and engineering experience with youth from groups that are under-represented in STEM; no deadline
- Institute for Catastrophic Loss Reduction Quick Response Program, up to $10k for social scientists to quickly deploy to a disaster-affected area in the aftermath of an extreme weather event or earthquake to collect perishable data; rolling deadlines
External Doctoral Opportunities Roundup
A list of external doctoral opportunities
External Postdoctoral Fellowships Roundup
A list of external fellowships for postdoctoral fellows
Postdoctoral funding database
Allows postdoctoral fellows to search for funding opportunities
Lists over 90,000 awards and is Canada’s leading scholarship and bursary platform
Research Funding and Award Opportunities Database
Contains hundreds of research grant and faculty award opportunities
Open Educational Resource Grants
Available through the university