News & Updates
This monthly update is sent to SFU graduate students and postdoctoral fellows.
Request to join
Email: dgs-gradupdates, Subject: Subscribe. Body Message: Subscribe. Follow instructions in confirmation email.
Request to unsubscribe:
Email: dgs-gradupdates, Subject: Unsubscribe. Body Message: Unsubscribe.
Internal & Donor Funded Awards
- Most Internal & Donor Funded Awards are applied for through the Graduate Awards & Adjudication System (email@example.com). Log in and complete your profile so you can easily search for and apply for awards are they become available.
- Paul Tai Yip Ng Memorial Award, will be given to the best graduate student research paper that advances our understanding of intercultural issues, particularly as they apply to people in or from Canada and the Asia Pacific region. The winner will be presented a cheque in the amount of $1,200 at the award ceremony in Spring 2020. Deadline: February 3, 2020.
Updated prior to June 10, 2019
- GA3 TIP: be sure to upload an updated version of your transcripts and update your GA3 Profile before you apply for any awards – the new information will populate your award applications.
- If you are affiliated with a Centre (Feminist Institute, Hellenic Studies or Scottish Studies) be sure to include these in your Award Search on GA3; there will be awards available through the centres shortly.
- Graduate Fellowships, up to $6500, deadlines vary, search GA3 to see availability
- External Dissertation Awards, recognize students who are graduating with outstanding thesis dissertations at master's and doctoral levels
- Tri-Agency Awards (CIHR, NSERC & SSHRC) - Visit the Award Holder Resources page on the Scholarships and Awards section of our website to find out how to accept, defer, interrupt your award payments.
Updated prior to June 10, 2019
- Mitacs Accelerate, supports collaborative research between grad students or postdocs and non-academic partners, including industry and eligible not-for-profit organizations. You can create your own research partnership, paid at $10–15,000 per term. The program is open to all academic disciplines, applications are non-competitive. Apply anytime.
- Mitacs Accelerate International, up to $15,000 for research with a company anywhere in the world. Apply anytime.
- Mitacs Globalink Research Awards provide $6,000 travel funding for research collaborations of 12-24 weeks at a university in any of Mitacs’ partner countries. Learn more about eligible destinations and award details. Multiple rolling deadlines a year.
- Left & Mitacs Research Grant, offering 16 post graduate positions, alongside co-op positions, over the next 3 years. Various deadlines.
Questions about anything Mitacs-related? Please email SFU’s Mitacs rep Allison Brennan at firstname.lastname@example.org. Allison is available to meet at any of SFU's campuses.
- CIHR's CGS & Doctoral Awards, provide support to students pursuing a doctoral degree in a health-related field. International students are not eligible to apply. The deadline to apply is October 1, 2019. Resources for applying can be found here.
- NSERC's CGS & Doctoral Awards, provide support to students pursuing a doctoral degree in natural sciences and engineering. International students are not eligible to apply. The deadline to apply is October 1, 2019. Resources for applying can be found here.
- SSHRC's CGS & Doctoral Awards, provide support for students pursuing a doctoral degree in the social sciences and humanities health-related fields. International students are not eligible to apply. The deadline to apply is October 1, 2019. Resources for applying can be found here.
- Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master's Program (CGS M), supports Canadian students in all disciplines and is administered jointly by Canada's three federal granting agencies CIHR, NSERC and SSHRC. These awards are valued at $17,500 for one year of study. International students are not eligible to apply. The deadline to apply is December 2, 2019. Resources, including dates for upcoming workshops are posted here
For the following awards, students apply to the agency directly:
- Hugh C. Morris Experiential Learning Fellowship, valued at $40,000 CAD, is open to any graduate student studying in Canada who is working in a field related to earth, geosciences, environment, alternative energy, water, climate change, sustainability, or to the social impact, social sciences or design sciences related to these areas and is designed to provide a unique experiential travel program designed by the student. The deadline for receipt of online applications is 11:59 pm PST on January 31, 2020.
- Alzheimer Society of Canada supports graduate research with applications opening in September 2019.
- WorksafeBC funds occupational health and safety (OHS) research projects that provide insight and solutions for issues faced by workers, employers, and WorkSafeBC with competitions opening Fall 2019.
- MITACS Accelerate Program offers paid internships for students working within organizations. Students can apply anytime.
Updated prior to August 10, 2019
- Grant Anderson Commemorative Scholarship, will include up to two scholarships that will be awarded for one year and in the amount of up to $1,500 paid upon proof of registration at a post-secondary institution in one of the approved subject areas. Deadline September 27, 2019.
- LGMA Distinguished Members Legacy Fund Scholarship, provides up to 14 scholarships will be awarded for one year in the amount of up to $1,500 as a voucher to the specified post-secondary institution to pay for tuition and text costs upon proof of registration. Deadline September 27, 2019.
- Ken Dobell Public Service Education Fund Scholarship, will award up to four scholarships for one year in the amount of up to $2,500. Scholarships may be available to reimburse tuition, school related expenses or travel. Deadline September 27, 2019.
- CIHR, NSERC and SSHRC doctoral award competitions will open in late July. Keep your eyes on their websites for procedures and access to the application forms. SFU’s internal deadline for these opportunities is October 1, 2019.
- Innovation Grants, support the highest quality creative problem solving in cancer research. It awards up to $100,000 per year and a maximum of $200,000 per grant. Deadline: October 15, 2019.
- Innovation to Impact Grants, support the next phase following a productive CCS Innovation Grant or CBCF research grant, with the goal of working towards or achieving a significant impact on cancer. Awards up to $150,000 per year for up to 3 years, to a maximum of $450,000 per grant. Deadline: October 15, 2019.
- If you have recently received an external award (CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC) and need to setup award payment, please send your notification of award to email@example.com. Awards are considered accepted and ready for payment when they appear in your GA3 Profile.
- The 2019-20 Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (Vanier CGS) competition is expected to launch mid-June. These federal awards (CIHR, NSERC and SSHRC) are valued at $50,000/year and are intended for top qualified doctoral students (international students are eligible to apply).
- RADIUS Opportunities, a list of RADIUS opportunities which includes funding, a fellowship, labs, and more; various deadlines
- IGH Funding Opportunities, trainee Travel Award, Transitions in Care (Team Grant), Transitions in Care - Evaluation Grants (Operating Grant); various deadlines
- Translink Mobility Grant, up to $50,000 to academics looking to conduct research projects related to new mobility; no deadline
- Data Incubator 8-week fellowships for grad students looking to enter industry, any discipline (Why they don't care about your discipline), rolling deadlines
- Weston Brain Institute Open Funding Opportunities, international fellowship and postdoctoral scholar, rolling deadlines
- NSERC Student Ambassador, $1,000 grant for post-secondary students and fellows to share their science and engineering experience with youth from groups that are under-represented in STEM; no deadline
- Institute for Catastrophic Loss Reduction Quick Response Program, up to $10k for social scientists to quickly deploy to a disaster-affected area in the aftermath of an extreme weather event or earthquake to collect perishable data; rolling deadlines
External Postdoctoral Fellowships Roundup
A list of external fellowships for postdoctoral fellows
Postdoctoral funding database
Allows postdoctoral fellows to search for funding opportunities
Lists over 90,000 awards and is Canada’s leading scholarship and bursary platform
External Doctoral Opportunities Roundup
A list of external doctoral opportunities
Research Funding and Award Opportunities Database
Contains hundreds of research grant and faculty award opportunities
Open Educational Resource Grants
Available through the university