Departments & Programs
- FASS Compass
- FASS Co-op Jobs
- Applied Legal Studies (Master's degree)
- Cognitive Science
- First Nations Studies
- French Cohort
- Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies
- Global Asia
- Graduate Liberal Studies (Master's degree)
- Hellenic Studies
- International Studies
- Labour Studies
- Language Training Institute
- Political Science
- Public Policy (Master's degree)
- Urban Studies (Master's degree)
- World Literature
Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies
Is Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies for you?
If you care about equality and inclusion, if you are curious how ideas about gender and sexuality impact society, or if you want to learn about how social movements and political activism can change the world, then you will enjoy courses in Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies. The interdisciplinary degree programs offer courses in a wide range of subject areas in the social sciences, humanities, natural/applied sciences, as well as arts, culture and media.
The Department of Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies at Simon Fraser University grew from the first Women’s Studies Program in Canada. Our vision is to bring feminist, queer, and intersectional understandings to the analysis of power and how it operates locally and transnationally. We nurture an interdisciplinary environment and promote critical research and scholarship, engaged teaching, and meaningful community service. We are committed to cultivating innovation, intellectual freedom, social justice activism, diversity, and transformative resistance to inequality.
Where to go from here?
If you pursue a degree in GSWS, you will graduate with knowledge about human rights, social justice, political activism, and the intersection of gender and other structures of power such as race, class, ethnicity, and ability. You will learn to view these issues through the perspectives and methodologies of cultural and media studies, history, social science, science studies and more. You will learn transferable skills that are highly valuable in many professions. Our students have succeeded in many different careers including:
- Communications strategist
- Coordinator of NGOs and non-profit organizations
- Documentary filmmaker
- Equity officer
- Advertising and marketing specialist
- University professor
- Police officer
- Youth worker
- Mental health counselor
- Drug and alcohol rehabilitation worker
- Family therapist
- Social worker
- Small business owner
- Career counselor
- Anthropology and Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies Bachelor of Arts
- Criminology and Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies Bachelor of Arts
- English and Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies Bachelor of Arts
- Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies and Psychology Bachelor of Arts
- History and Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies Bachelor of Arts
- Humanities and Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies Bachelor of Arts
- Political Science and Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies Bachelor of Arts
- Sociology and Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies Bachelor of Arts
Co-operative Education Program
Want to know more?
The Department of Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies offers major, joint major, minor, and extended minor programs.
We also have an active GSWS Student Union which has organized many fun on-campus events such as movie screenings, seminars/panels, and BBQs. The GSWS Student Union actively participates in a variety of on and off campus events and initiatives that advance gender inclusivity and sexual diversity including Faculty conversations, peaceful protests, and community organizing.
Get in Touch
Dr. Helen Leung describes GSWS 100: Introduction to Contemporary Issues in Sexuality Studies.
Dr. Jen Marchbank describes GSWS 102: Feminist Action.