Departments & Programs
- Why an Arts and Social Sciences Degree Matters
- Applied Legal Studies (Master's degree)
- Cognitive Science
- First Nations Studies
- French Cohort
- Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies
- Global Asia
- Graduate Liberal Studies (Master's degree)
- Hellenic Studies
- International Studies
- Labour Studies
- Language Training Institute
- Political Science
- Public Policy (Master's degree)
- Urban Studies (Master's degree)
- World Literature
- High School Visits
Language Training Institute
Is the Language Training Institute for you?
Students interested in international travel, study, or business will have a real advantage if they learn an additional language. Our students typically are able to communicate and function effectively in everyday situations.
Our language courses open up new perspectives and opportunities: learn a language — speak with the world.
Where can Languages take me?
- Interpretation and Translation
- International Trade
- Consulting firms
- International trade specialist or diplomat
- Small business
- Government policy analyst or researcher
- Public Service Commission of Canada
- Law and international organizations
- Language/ESL Teacher
- Public administration
- Foreign Service Worker
- Immigration Officer
- International development agencies and organizations
- Education and academia
Get in Touch
For more information about the Language Training Institute visit us online at: www.lti.sfu.ca.
The Language Training Institute provides an introduction to major world languages and cultures. Under the guidance of expert instructors using innovative methods, students in our classes engage in extensive practice with the essentials of language and gain insight into the cultures of those language communities.
Areas of Study
The Language Training Institute offers language courses in Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), German, Japanese, Persian, Punjabi, and Spanish. Training in other languages are offered in support of field schools or student exchanges as needed.
What can you do after studying at the Language Training Institute? Knowing an additional language enhances study, travel, and work opportunities immeasurably. In an era of global industry and communication, individuals who can demonstrate fluency and understanding of other languages and cultures are extremely valuable in all kinds of settings.