Departments & Programs
- Why an Arts and Social Sciences Degree Matters
- Applied Legal Studies (Master's degree)
- Cognitive Science
- First Nations Studies
- French Cohort
- Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies
- Global Asia
- Graduate Liberal Studies (Master's degree)
- Hellenic Studies
- International Studies
- Labour Studies
- Language Training Institute
- Political Science
- Public Policy (Master's degree)
- Urban Studies (Master's degree)
- World Literature
- High School Visits
SFU’s largest and most diverse Faculty, Arts and Social Sciences (FASS) has over 310 professors and close to 100 staff spread across 16 departments and schools, 10 programs, and a language institute. Each year, 12,000 undergraduate students and over 750 graduate students engage in a stimulating learning and research environment.
FASS students make up approximately 40% of SFU's student population. In 2017, SFU Outstanding Alumni awards went to three FASS alumni who made extraordinary contributions to our world in very different ways:
- Gary Cristall, co-founder of the Vancouver Folk Music Festival and longstanding arts advocate and cultural programmer.
- Dr. Nathan Nunn, a Harvard University professor and one of the International Monetary Fund’s “25 economists under 45” who is shaping how we think about the global economy.
- Frode Strand-Nielsen, leader in responsible and ethical investments; founder of one of the fastest growing private equity firms in Europe, FSN Capital.
FASS students and alumni are social entrepreneurs and activists, bookworms and bibliometrics wizards. They are mayors and social workers, teachers and police officers, poets and politicians. They study how to prevent drowning, or how to develop public policy around medical marijuana. They accept co-op jobs that take them into consulates or museums, high tech startups or international offices.
Whatever your goals and dreams, there's a path for you in FASS. Please join us.
Feeling a little overwhelmed during your first term at SFU? ~ Read about why it is a great idea to join the FASS Connections Mentorship Program through the eyes of one of our mentors Sydney! Not only do you get paired with a mentor who is pursuing the same major as you, but you also get to meet awesome like-minded people and attend fun events! You can read more about Sydneyâs experience in our FASSination blog by clicking on the link in our bio! ââââââââââââââââââââââââ It isnât too late to register! If you are interested visit http://www.sfu.ca/fass/undergraduate/newstudents.html or email Alishia, the Engagement Programming Assistant, at email@example.com! ð
Want to know how to enrich your post-secondary journey? Read all about how Gilbert, one of our FASS Mentors, went beyond achieving just a university degree by pursuing opportunities such as the Student Ambassador Program, Study Abroad & Field School and Co-op! âï¸ð (see link in bio to read his FASSination Blog) - - - - - - - - - You can also get more information on the opportunities above by attending: Study Abroad 101: Thurs, Jan 11, 11:30am-12:30pm, MBC 1200. Arts & Social Sciences Co-op Info Session: Thurs, Jan 11, 12pm-1:20pm (RSVP on myexperience.sfu.ca ) ð