Academic and Professional Positions
- Associate Professor, Faculty of Education, Simon Fraser University (2007–present)
- Associate Member, Faculty of Environment, Simon Fraser University (2012–present)
- Adjunct Research Fellow, Universitas Sam Ratulangi, Sulawesi Utera, Indonesia (2012–present)
- Assistant Professor, Faculty of Education, Simon Fraser University (2000–2007)
- Instructor, Malaspina Univ-College (now Vancouver Island University) (1991–1998)
- High School Teacher, Coast Mountain and Greater Victoria School Districts (1988–1991)
- Faculty Teaching Fellow, Faculty of Environment, Simon Fraser University (October 2013–present)
Development of a program to improve teaching practices withing the Faculty of Environment including mentoring, professional development and support for collaborative and experiential froms of learning.
- Director, Institute for Environmental Learning, Simon Fraser University (January 2011–present)
Founder and director of this research institute formed under SFU Policy R 40.01. Management and direction of all aspects of the Institute’s research programs, membership and staffing including the United Nations Chartered -- BC RCE for ESD).
- Managing Director, Centre for Educational Technology, Education, Simon Fraser University (August 1998–October 2003)
Management and direction for all activities in the Centre for Educational Technology (CET), Faculty of Education. Duties included the supervision and hiring of staff, developing budgets, course development, managing grant/research proposals and leading the instructional team.
- Developmental Education Coordinator, Malaspina University-College, Duncan, BC (August 1993–August 1995)
Coordination of the Adult Basic Education, Literacy, Access, ESL and Assessment programs at the Cowichan campus. Budgeting, staffing, timetabling and scheduling, program development, evaluation and assessment.
- International Environmental Ed. Specialist, Asian Development Bank funded (ACDP 010) Indonesia (April 2012–June 2014)
Worked on the Education Sector Analytical Capacity and Development Partnership (ADCP) and the the formulation of a National Action Plan for Environmental Education designed to improve the relevance and quality of environmental education in primary/secondary schools in Indonesia and expand the educational foundations supporting sustainable development.
- Consultant, College of Education, Florida Atlantic University (FAU), Boca Raton, FL (August–December 2007)
Review and advisement related to program structure, curriculum and implementation of the Master’s in Environmental Education at Florida Atlantic University in association with the Pine Jog Environmental Learning Centre at West Palm Beach, Florida.
- ICT Specialist, Asian Development Bank Funded (TA-4733) Columbo, Sri Lanka (August 2006–December 2006)
Consulting on the Preparing the Educational Sector Development Fund technical assistance. Duties include: reviewing ICT policies, Situational analysis and identifing strategies for further investment, human resource development and capacity building in ICT for education, focusing on ICT for learning in Sri Lankan secondary schools.
- Professional Development Contract Consultant, Brunei Ministry of Education (January 2005–August 2005)
Contracted to developed and facilitate a six month program and associated in country evaluations for teachers the Brunei Ministry of Education, delivered in consultation with SFU’s Faculty of Education and the Learning and Instructional Development Centre (LIDC).
- Consultant, Annual Meeting Coordinator / Electronic Services Director. (March 2001–April 2006)
Contracted to deliver Annual Meeting coordination, meeting planning and electronic services for the US-based National Association for Research in Science Teaching (NARST). Duties included managing the meetings call for proposals, publishing annual proceedings volumes, conducting site visits for future meetings and managing all program aspects of the meeting.
- Consultant, Aboriginal Study Centre, Curtin University, Perth, Western Australia (February 1997–June 1997)
Developed and implemented a tutorial review system for Aboriginal students enrolled in the Science and Technology program at Curtin University in Perth, Australia. Tutorials included instruction in communications, geology, environmental biology and chemistry.
- Educational Consultant, Ya Thuy Thut, Cowichan Tribes, Duncan, BC (September 1995 – June 1996)
Developed and implemented a science program at the Ya Thuy Thut training centre. Services included curriculum development, implementation and evaluation. The program is now affiliated with Malaspina University-College.
- Educational Consultant, Tillicum Haus Native Friendship Centre, Nanaimo, BC (September 1992–March 1993)
Developed and implemented programs in science and computers studies for First Nations literacy and ABE students. Classes were held both at Malaspina University-College (Nanaimo) and at the Tillicum Haus Friendship Centre.