Our Educational Leadership programs offer Doctoral (EdD) and Master’s (MEd) degrees designed for the professional practitioner. Specialized cohort options offer you the opportunity to: deepen your theoretical understanding, engage in meaningful action research and advance your career all at the same time. Schedules are tailored to fit the busy lifestyle of the working professional.
SFU Community Graduate Programs prides itself in working closely with our local partners across the educational sectors serving diverse program and community needs through our masters and doctoral programs. Over the years, we have worked with school districts, post secondary institutions, and community organizations to provide relevant programs based in-community.
Note: These programs are tentative, pending formal approval from the Faculty of Education, and they are subject to change. Program offerings will be confirmed in November of the preceeding year, and will go forward subject to sufficient enrollment.
Current and Previous Programs
Master of Education
- Educational Leadership, K-12 - Fall 2011 (Coquitlam)
- Educational Leadership, K-12 - Fall 2011 (Surrey)
- Educational Leadership, Post-Secondary - Fall 2011
- Educational Leadership: Post-Secondary & Student Affairs (Surrey, BC) - Fall 2012
- Educational Leadership (Whitehorse, YT) - Fall 2012
- Educational Leadership, K-12 M.Ed - Fall 2013
- Educational Leadership MEd (Prince George - Fall 2013
- Educational Leadership: K-12 (Langley)- Fall 2014
- Educational Leadership: Post-Secondary - Fall 2014
- Educational Leadership, K–12, Restarting Relationships: Educational Leadership in Challenging Times MEd - Fall 2016
- Educational Leadership, Yukon MEd - Fall 2016
- Educational Leadership: Post-Secondary Educational Leadership MEd - Fall 2017
- Educational Leadership in Complex and Urban Schools MEd (SFU Surrey Campus, BC) - Fall 2018
- Educational Leadership K–12, Restarting Relationships: Educational Leadership in Challenging Times MEd (SFU Vancouver Campus, BC) - Fall 2018
- Educational Leadership: Imaginative K-12 Leadership MEd - Fall 2019
- Educational Leadership: Post-Secondary, Student Affairs & Services MEd - Fall 2019
- Educational Leadership, Prince George MEd - Fall 2020
Educational Leadership Community
Faculty Sponsor: Educational Leadership EdD
Renseignements Académiques: Doctorat en Leadership Éducationnel EdD
Dr. Diane Dagenais View my profile >>
Adjunct and Affiliated Faculty
Faculty Sponsor: Educational Leadership K–12 MEd; Lecturer, Adjunct Professor
Dr. Bruce Beairsto View my profile >>
Professor of Professional Practice: Educational Leadership; Lecturer, Adjunct Professor
Dr. Peter Grimmett, Professor Emeritus
Dr. Adam Horvath, Professor Emeritus
Dr. Michael Manley-Casimir, Professor Emeritus
Dr. Milt McClaren, Professor Emeritus
Dr. June Anonson, Adjunct Professor
Dr. Sharon Cohen, Faculty Sponsor; Adjunct Professor
Dr. Patrick Keeney, Adjunct Professor
Dr. Cynthia Lewis, Adjunct Professor
Dr. David Oborne, Adjunct Professor
Dr. Linda Pardy, Adjunct Professor
Dr. Fred Renihan, Adjunct Professor
Dr. Byron Robbie, Adjunct Professor
Dr. Tom Roemer, Adjunct Professor
Dr. Glen Schmidt, Adjunct Professor
Dr. Jean Warburton, Adjunct Professor
Dr. Christine Wihak, Adjunct Professor
Dr. Cindy Xin, Adjunct Professor
Students and Alumni Experience
Doctor of Education (EdD)
Barry Hogan EdD alumnus and Senior Director, Program Development & Review, BCIT School of Business
Candy Ho EdD Leadership alumnus.
Christina Dobson (Brazzoni) EdD alumnus. Specialized in First Nations mental health and critical incident stress management.
Daniel To EdD alumnus and Principal, Education Services in the Surrey School District
Jacqueline Pizzuti Ashby EdD alumnus and Educational Consultant.
Jim McConnell EdD Alumnus, Head of School, Stratford Hall.
Kamuela Ka'Ahanui EdD alumnus, Faculty member in teacher education.
Khaled Alajlan EdD alumnus and Educator from Saudi Arabia.
Lynne MacFadgen EdD alumnus and Administrator at Vancouver Island University.
Paule Desgroseilliers EdD alumnus and FSL Dean of Graduate Studies Convocation Medal winner.
Sandra Theroux EdD alumnus and nurse.
Sarah Pask-Goodwin EdD alumnus and Director of Development for the Squamish Lil'wat Cultural Centre.
Sheila Elworthy EdD alumnus and Vice-President, Chartered Accountant School of Business (CASB).
Steve Cardwell EdD Alumnus, Professor of Teaching and Director of Executive Educational Leadership at UBC.
Ted Gervan EdD alumnus and Vice President of Education at VFS.
Tom Brown EdD alumnus and Academic Director of the GDBA and Part-Time MBA programs in the Beedie School of...
Tom Roemer EdD alumnus and Vice-President Academic at BCIT and Director, Greater Victoria Development Agency.
Wendy Carr EdD alumnus and Teacher Educator at UBC.
Education Systems and Outcomes in Diverse Communities: An Interdisciplinary Approach (Laitsch)
Understanding absenteeism: definitions, causes, and interventions (Nilson)
Adopt-a-Class Evaluation (Nilson)
Educational Ecologies (Nilson)
Learning Exploration & Academic Discovery Programs (LEAD), Program Evaluation of Aboriginal University Preparation Program (Schmidt)
Social Capital & Small Schools: An Exploratory Investigation (Schmidt)
An ethnographic exploration of teachers’ understanding of classroom assessment (Schmidt)
Parenting Project on Race, Immigrant Status, Class & Education (Schmidt)