What change would YOU make with $3,000?
Calling all students! If you have an innovative idea for engaging the community in ways that have positive social impact, take the first step towards realizing your idea by registering with the SFU Student-Community Engagement Competition today.
The SFU Student-Community Engagement Competition wants to inspire SFU student projects that have potential for innovative engagement and meaningful impact in the communities in which SFU students live, learn, work, and play.
Having started in 2014 as a collaborative initiative involving Blackwood Partners Management Corp., Central City, the City of Surrey, and Simon Fraser University's Surrey campus, the competition has supported some amazing and innovative projects, including S.C.O.R.E., Gro Carts and Media Minds, projects that have successfully engaged youth, supported food justice, and created foundational support for young social innovators in and around Surrey Centre.
This year, $12,000 is available to ignite your innovative projects. Blackwood Partners has created two awards for the most innovative ideas to engage the Surrey Centre neighborhood: a Grand Award of $3,000 and an Engagement Award of $2,000. The City of Surrey is offering an additional $2,000 Engagement Award for Surrey Centre. And thanks to the SFU Community Engagement Fund, we’re pleased to announce two new awards for projects designed to engage the Burnaby neighborhoods of Metrotown, Lougheed, Brentwood and/or Edmonds: a Grand Award of $3,000 and an Engagement Award of $2,000.
Through competition-supported projects, Blackwood Partners, the City of Surrey, and Simon Fraser University hope to:
· recognize, celebrate, and champion community-student engagement and spirit;
· assist in the rejuvenation, development and success of Surrey City Centre and Central City;
· assist in the development and success of Burnaby’s four town centres: Metrotown, Brentwood, Lougheed and Edmonds;
· facilitate student participation in experiential learning opportunities through community service and partnership; and,
· attract students from a variety of disciplines who are enthusiastic about social entrepreneurship, innovation and community building;
· expand and deepen collaborations with important partners in the communities where SFU students live, study, work and play.
- December 1st – Deadline for registering and submitting and initial idea.
- December 15th – Teams with ideas that show promise will be invited to submit a detailed proposal.
- January 15th, 2018 – Deadline for detailed proposal submission for evaluation.
- February, 2018 – Two dialogue events, one for Burnaby-based projects and one for Surrey-based projects, will provide finalists an opportunity to present their projects to a jury panel. Winners will be chosen live at the event.
For more information about the SFU Student-Community Engagement Competition and to see past projects, please see: www.sfu.ca/engagement-competition/