The Ergonomics Co-op Student in the Workplace Health & Safety Services in the Human Resources portfolio is a professional position reporting to the Manager, WHS Services.
The position works with close direction and in concert with Manager, WHS Services to execute the established ergonomic programs and processes. The position provides advice and recommendations to clients within its specialty function and scope.
The position will interpret client needs, assess requirements and identify solutions to standard and non-standard issues and requests. The position works to ensure Alberta Health Services values, goals and principles are implemented and integrated in the delivery of services to client groups.
The position is also responsible for:
- Provide ergonomics consultation to employers and employees of AHS.
- Perform ergonomics field studies and assessments of workplaces, equipment, and jobs utilizing a variety of analytical techniques and methodologies.
- Develop and design appropriate control measures to remediate ergonomics problems in the workplace.
- Develop written reports for clients based on ergonomics work performed.
- Work in multi-disciplinary teams in the development, maintenance and enhancement of WHS policies, programs, processes, training, etc.
Student testimonials below:
"Though my position at AHS wasn't related technically to my anticipated career path, the skills and experience gained will be applicable to anywhere I might end up. I am most grateful for the opportunity to work with an amazing team that supported me through a wide variety of projects - I never felt out of place or in over my head. This placement is quite unique in that it allows you to peer into a healthcare system via various windows and keeps you on your toes (literally!)"
" The ergonomic position at AHS provided me an unique experience by applying a kinesiology background into a corporate setting. It opened a new discipline within the field, while gaining insight into the healthcare system. I was blown away how I was treated as an equal member of the team as opposed to a 'co-op student' where I was encouraged to develop creative solutions to challenges that arose. Additionally, there is a large amount of variability within the position, so there never is a dull moment!"
Education and Experience Requirements:
A minimum of Grade 12.
- Currently enrolled in Post-secondary program (Kinesiology, Human Kinetics, Occupational, Health & Safety).
- Excellent communication and organizational skills are desirable.
- The successful candidate must have a positive attitude, demonstrate professional image, exceptional customer service ability, be a strong team player, and be flexible with ability to adapt to change. Proficiency in various computer applications including word processing, data entry, email, and Internet access are required.
- A valid driver's license and reliable vehicle are preferred for the position.
Skill and Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Fast and accurate data entry skills required.
- Ability to perform effectively in a team environment.
- Strong knowledge of computer systems and applications, specifically Microsoft Office, database management.
- Ability to deal with varied and diverse issues/groups/individuals.
- Ability to work quickly and independently.
- Analytical skills.
- Excellent customer service.
BPK 180 and 381 will be assets
Duration: May-December 2019.
Range of Pay: $16.00-21.00 per hour
Hours: 37.5 hours per week