News and Events
- Welcome Dr. Chelsea Little
- Maclean's Ranking 2020
- Tesicca Truong, BSc '18 battles for a voice at the BC legislature
- It's raining...plastic?
- Dr. Brendan Murphy joins new School of Environmental Science
- Faculty of Environment’s poster student graduates this spring
- Cancelled Event Becomes Virtual Showcase
- Environmental Science Student Research Showcase
- Combining Passion with Purpose
- Info Session - Master's Opportunities at Duke University
- Global Climate Strike
- Welcome Dr. Shawn Chartrand
- Q&A with Director
- Dr. Margaret Schmidt
- Summer 2019 Convocation
- CFI Funding: $270,000 for Research in River Systems
- Feb 6 2019 TownHall
- Celeste Landon
- Ruth Joy and fellow researchers aim to use artificial intelligence to save endangered whales in B.C.
- News and Events
- Contact Us
- Prospective Students
- SFU Environmental Science Student Union
Welcome Dr. Shawn Chartrand
Dr. Shawn Chartrand has joined the School of Environmental Science. He will be teaching in the Ecological Restoration program.
Dr. Chartrand is a geophysical and environmental scientist. His research focuses on how rivers form and co-evolve with landscapes. He has particular interest in mountain rivers and cold regions of the Arctic. Shawn uses field campaigns, physical experiments and theory development to address basic research questions. He applies his research to improve how professional scientists approach and develop river restoration plans, including the removal of dams.
Dr. Chartrand was a NSERC funded Postdoctoral Research Fellow at Vanderbilt University and completed his PhD in Physical Geography at UBC.
Dr. Chartrand was in the in the Arctic studying the effects of climate change on landscape and river adjustments due to a loss of permafrost through higher seasonal air temperatures.
2 of 2. This is what the #climatechange driven #Permafrost thaw slump looks like from above. The thaw slump created a new channel network that links with the valley floor below, and increases sediment load to the #Arctic ocean. #GlobalWarming is real ð¥º. #ClimateActionNow pic.twitter.com/KkrjyxIjsm— Shawn M Chartrand (@smchartrand) July 19, 2019