Qualifications for a BC Biologist or Geoscientist

Qualifications for Registered Professional Biologist of BC

Registered Professional Biologist (RPBio) status is an important qualification for BC biologists practicing in BC. Students can qualify for accreditation as a RPBio through the College of Applied Biology (CAB). The SFU Environmental Science program is not presently accredited by the CAB; however, we are working on some modification to allow this. In the meantime, students in the Applied Biology concentration can take additional SFU Biology (BISC) and Resource and Environmental Management (REM) courses to qualify. CAB does not provide a specific syllabus for SFU courses; only the course area, so confirm in advance which SFU courses can be applied to meet the requirements. Note: The Environmental Science program advisor does not advise students on the specific RPBio requirements, as they are established by CAB, so students are advised to check directly with CAB for advising. 

RPBio status is then possible after three years of appropriate work experience and completion of an acceptable professional report. Students and graduates may join the CAB as student biologists and biologists in training, respectively, before they meet all of the qualifications. For more information please see the CAB website: www.cab-bc.org

Professional Registration as a BC Geoscientist

The right to practice in and to accept professional responsibility for geoscience in BC is limited to registered members of the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (APEGBC). Registration requirements can be met through the Environmental Science BSc major program (Environmental Earth Systems concentration) and selected courses in other university departments.

Contact the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia at: apeginfo@apeg.bc.ca or check out their website at: www.apeg.bc.ca.

There are now some new Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of BC (APEGBC) courses available at Douglas College.  The courses are for students who are intending to pursue APEGBC accreditation. The courses can be taken before, during or after their SFU degree to make up for courses they were unable to take at SFU.

Here is the Douglas College announcement: 

'In BC and across Canada, provincial legislation requires geoscientists to be professionally registered for many types of work.  In BC the organization that regulates Professional Geoscientists is the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of BC.  Getting a professional designation is the next step after university, and many students prepare for this by joining APEGBC as a student member.  After earning a geoscience degree, graduates that qualify may register as a Geoscientist-in-Training with APEGBC, and later qualify as a Professional Geoscientist.  

However, while earning a Bachelor of Science degree, students need to carefully select courses that meet APEGBC’s required syllabus.

Douglas College is just launching a new program (Geological Resources Diploma Program = GeoResources Program), and consequently they will be offering second-year courses in Sed/Strat, Mineralogy, Petrology and Structural Geology. These courses have transfer to the SFU equivalents, and so they will meet the APEGBC syllabus. In order to accommodate those with busy schedules, these courses will be offered in a one-day format (lecture, followed by lab) on Mondays and Fridays in fall and winter. Mineralogy will be offered this fall, and the set will be offered in fall/winter 2018/19.  A web page outlining our offerings for APEGBC syllabi in Geology and Environmental Geoscience is here.' 

NOTE: SFU students would require a Letter of Permission (LOP) to take courses at Douglas while studying at SFU.  Students in the SFU-Douglas Degree Program would not require a LOP.  LOP's are not approved for courses that SFU offers and the Douglas GPA will not transfer over, only the credit (a minimum 'C' grade is required).  Students must meet the eligibility requirements to apply and it takes 6-8 weeks to process so advanced planning is required.