Canada Research Chairs
Content below is under development. Please check back often for updated material.
Once a CRC has been allocated to a Faculty, Deans and Search Committee Chairs should contact their Faculty Relations Advisor for more details.
Procedures for Appointment
The initial job advertisement must be prepared by the Chair and then reviewed and approved by the Dean. It will then be sent to Faculty Relations who will coordinate review with the Director, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, with the Institutional Strategic Awards office (reviewing for CRC requirements and deadlines), and the AVPR (reviewing overall and for the research aspect). The AVPR's approval with final changes will act as approval and Faculty Relations will send the approved job ad to the Executive Secretary, AVP and CIO to post on the VPA website. The department/faculty will be copied so that they can then post the advertisement where they desire.
Your advertisement will need to include language to proactively facilitate completion of the requirements of the CRC nomination package. The Secretariat monitors the adherence of institutions to the Chairs program’s recruitment and nomination guidelines, to ensure a fair and transparent recruitment and nomination process. See below for a link the SFU’s advertising templates for CRC postings.
**Position advertisements will be archived on the VPA site for 3 years from the posting date (as of October 2017), here: https://www.sfu.ca/vpacademic/faculty_openings.html
CRC has two intakes for Canadian applications each year, April and October. There is no deadline for foreign nominations (including Canadians currently employed outside of Canada at the time of submission).
The CRC job posting process now requires that institutions collect data on applicants, with a focus on collecting information about representation of the four designated groups (FDGs) (women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and racialized groups), to ensure a diverse applicant pool. The Chair will be contacted by an equity expert from Faculty Relations during the Advertising stage to assist with organizing data collection.
Institutions may only use Canada Research Chair positions for emergency retention (i.e., where a position is offered without a competitive process to an individual to retain them within the institution) in very exceptional circumstances. The emergency retention mechanism may only be used by institutions that are meeting their equity and diversity targets for all four designated groups or in cases where the nomination contributes to meeting these targets. To inquire about emergency retentions please contact your Faculty Advisor.
In addition, a transparency statement must be posted at the start of all internal retention processes, which are open only to existing faculty at the institution publicly advising internal and external stakeholders that a recruitment process is underway to fill a chair allocation. Faculty Relations will follow up with you in this respect.
NOTE: Adequate assessment by the TPC or other Search Committee in line with any other search must still ensue.
2) Preparing the Search Committee
The search committee will be formed, the inclusion of representatives of the designated groups and an equity champion or officer is required. Further to this, search committee members are required to receive training in equity, diversity and inclusion, including unconscious bias. The Chair will be contacted by an equity expert from Faculty Relations during the Advertising stage to discuss the following:
- ensuring the recruitment process is fair and unbiased
- determining action based on CRC targets
- strategy used to identify and actively recruit from the four designated groups
- posting on recommended sites and in recommended publications
- collecting data to ensure a diverse applicant pool
3) Recommendation for Appointment
The process will follow that as with any other continuing academic appointment. Find the CRC Appointment Appendix to complete to ensure that you have hit all necessary points for CRC. This must be included with the usual hire package.
Institutional Strategic Awards will be involved in completing the nomination and liaising with the candidate and department once the Search Committee Chair has submitted the initial package to Faculty Relations, leading up to a submitted Nomination. Faculty Relations will send out an appointment letter confirming the appointment, contingent on award of the CRC once the nomination package has been signed and submitted. A subsequent letter from the VPA to the candidate will confirm the award, the faculty appointment, the start date, and the salary details.
Procedures for Renewal
A renewal reminder will go out to the Dean and AVPR from Institutional Strategic Awards approximately 18 months prior to the end of a successful CRC term. This will include a reminder to create a transition plan for the end of term (if not renewing).
Should it be decided that the CRC will go forward for renewal, the Institutional Strategic Awards office will support the faculty member and the TPC in providing templates that may be used to ensure all points are covered in their review. The review will follow a process similar to a promotion case, as follows, and will also result in the CRC Appointment Appendix - Renewals being completed to jumpstart the renewal nomination.
- Member submits application for renewal documents to the TPC (according to particular criteria for assessment)
- TPC assesses candidate according to appointment criteria and prepares a recommendation to the Dean according to the following process:
- External Referees received
- TPC prepares Draft Assessment (no vote) with advice to member of 2 weeks to respond to TPC and provide additional materials if desired (member may waive the 2 weeks)
- TPC considers response and additional materials (if applicable) and takes a vote
- TPC prepares final recommendation to Dean with voting information
- Copy of final TPC recommendation provided to member (minus vote or any disclosure of other aspects of the vote) and advice of 2 weeks to comment to the Dean and provide additional materials if desired (member may waive the 2 weeks). Note: If TPC vote not unanimous, minority opinion must be provided in writing either within the same recommendation or in a separate document (if separate, copy must be provided to member)
- Dean provides recommendation for reappointment to VPA, copied to the member (minus information that might identify any authors of confidential assessments). The Dean shall also advise the faculty member that they may comment on the recommendation and may submit additional information to the Vice President, Academic.
- Recommendation for renewal received by VPA (Faculty Relations)
- Faculty Relations will send out an appointment letter confirming the appointment, contingent on award of the CRC. A subsequent letter from the VPA to the candidate will confirm the award, the faculty appointment, the start date, and the salary details.
The proposed allocation of available income between salary supplement and research support should be stated in the letter from the Dean as well as any arrangements regarding salary supplement or research support upon termination of the award.
Collective Agreement Articles:
Article 23: Continuing Academic Appointments
Article 42: Salary (sections 42.67 to 42.71)
Contact the Faculty Relations Advisor handling inquiries for your Faculty.