Details of Appointment
- The purpose of the University Professorship is to recognize senior scholars of distinction who are active participants in all aspects of their discipline and who currently hold the rank of Professor.
- University Professorships are awarded for a 5-year term and are renewable.
- The current amount of the award is $7,317.22 per year. This reflects 0.174 x the historical base used for salary grid purposes. Currently valued at $42,052.98, the historic base incorporates across-the-board and general wage increases such as the 1.50% general wage increase and the 0.35% Economic Stability Dividend that came int effect on July 1, 2017. This is subject to periodic review. The allocation of the funding between salary supplement and research support shall be determined individually.
- Normally, two University Professors are available for each Faculty. However, the Vice-President, Academic may allow up to four University Professorships to be awarded in larger Faculties.
- Professors who hold internal or external named awards, such as endowed chairs and professorships, Canada Research Chairs or major salary awards from granting agencies are not eligible to hold a University Professorship. Where an existing University Professor receives such an award, he or she will not be eligible for renewal of the University Professorship after the five-year term is complete.
Procedures for Appointment
- The Vice-President, Academic shall determine the number of University Professorships to be funded each year and issue a call for nominations.
- The Vice President, Academic can limit the total number of nominations that may be submitted from each Faculty.
- Nominations are initiated at the Department level and must be accompanied by supporting documentation, including evidence that the nominee is a scholar of distinction, active in teaching and service, and recommendations from the Chair and the Dean. Nominations shall be submitted to Department Chairs by January 1 annually. Deans shall receive recommendations from departments by March 1st. The Vice President, Academic shall receive recommendations from the Deans by May 31st.
- The Vice-President, Academic shall review all the recommendations together, and shall make a recommendation to the President whose decision shall be final.
Collective Agreement Article:
Article 42: Salary (sections 42.47 to 42.51)
Contact the Faculty Relations Advisor handling inquiries for your Faculty.