Is French for you?
Whether you are pursuing a degree in French or taking just a few courses in Language, Linguistics, Literature or Culture, studying in the Department of French offers you a range of possibilities. Innovative teaching techniques such as interactive language classes, online courses, and mass and social media can bring your French to a professional level.
You can choose a variety of programs which will help shape your career:
- Major, Honours or Major with Concentration for Teachers
- Extended Minor
- Language Minor (for beginners)
- French Language Proficiency Certificate
- French and Education Certificate
- Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in French and Education
- Joint Major with another Department
Our French Department is the only one in Western Canada to offer you a combination of French/French Canadian literatures and French linguistics, with beginner and advanced language classes, composition and conversation courses.
Where to go from here?
French alumni are working throughout the world; some of their fields of activity include:
- Communication environments, written and IT multi-media
- Consulting firms
- International trade specialist or diplomat
- Small Business
- Government Policy Analyst or Researcher, Public Service of Canada
- Law enforcement and legal counsel
- Multinational organizations
- Language/FSL teacher
- Public administrator
- Foreign Service Worker, Immigration officer
- International Development agencies and organizations
- Education and academia
Want to know more?
The Department offers you:
- A dynamic learning environment with innovative teaching and research in language, linguistics, literature and culture.
- An academic advisor available in person or online
- A language laboratory equipped with cutting-edge technologies
- Language and writing support
- Teaching assistant programs in Quebec and France
- The opportunity to participate in immersion programs and access student jobs, volunteer possibilities and co-op placements.
All courses are taught in French.