Program options for your Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree
Students can meet the Bachelor of Arts requirements through one of the following five options:
- a major program
- a joint major program
- two extended minor programs (at least one in FASS)
- an extended minor and a minor program (at least one in FASS)
- two minor programs (at least one in FASS)
In addition to the degree requirements set out below, students may also fulfil the requirements for one or more additional extended minor(s) or minor(s). Please see the Bachelor of Arts (Honours) Degree section for honours program requirements.
For all BA options at least 120 units are required, which include:
- at least 60 units that must be completed at SFU
- at least 45 upper division units, of which at least 30 upper division units must be completed at SFU
- at least 65 units (including 21 upper division units) in Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences courses
- satisfaction of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences writing, quantitative, and breadth requirements
- an overall CGPA and upper division CGPA of at least 2.0
- a program (major, joint major, extended minor, minor) CGPA and upper division CGPA of at least 2.0
Students also have the option of completing two major programs (double major), if they wish. Students completing two majors will graduate with one BA degree.
Students have the option of completing two undergraduate degrees concurrently by meeting the requirements of a first bachelor’s degree and the requirements of a second Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree. Students choosing this option will complete both degrees simultaneously and apply for graduation from both degrees in the same term.
In some instances, instead of two concurrent degrees, it may be preferable to complete two extended minors, a joint major, a double major or a joint honors program leading to one bachelor’s degree. Students are encouraged to determine whether a second BA degree is actually required for their purposes (in many cases, post-degree studies may be more appropriate).
For information regarding concurrent degrees and/or post-degree studies, students should seek advice from the Faculty advisors in the Office of the Dean, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (AQ 3020).