- Future students
- Get involved
- Current students
If you would like to request permission to work form campus, after speaking to your supervisor, you will need to complete your COVID-19 Awareness and Safe Return to Work Training course on Canvas, and then submit it along with a safety plan for the activities you will carry out in the space you will work, here.
Mandatory steps before returning to any on-campus work or research
1) Complete the COVID-19 Awareness and Safe Return to Work Training course on Canvas.
2) Develop a COVID-19 safety plan for your on-campus research or teaching space (whether that’s an office, lab, studio, or other physical space) and submit your plan for approval using the FCAT COVID-19 Safety Plan approval form.
3) Once you have completed the training course and you have an APPROVED SAFETY PLAN in place, only then should you be returning to campus.
4) All staff, faculty or students who are being asked to join you on campus for research activities must complete the above Canvas course and read the safety plan that applies to the space they will be in and the activities which will occur in the space they will be using.
5) If you are planning any in-person meetings or events on campus, please review the details on the Ceremonies & Events website and the guidelines and approval process for in person meetings.
Developing your COVID-19 safety plan
Before resuming activities that require additional students, faculty or staff to return to campus, a university-approved, unit-specific, safety plan must be in place to ensure compliance with WorkSafeBC requirements.
If you are hoping to return to campus for any reason, you must submit a safety plan specific to your on-campus research space to your school director for approval. The director’s approval will be pending a review to ensure that your research activities must be completed on campus and are eligible for an exemption from the current directive on remote work and research.
- Use this example safety plan to help you in your planning process.
- Refer to these guidelines from WorkSafeBC.
- If your research may be conducted remotely with the loan of SFU equipment, please consult with your director and complete an Equipment and Loan Use Agreement.
- For more details, refer to the Work and Research Safety COVID-19 Resources.
SFU COVID-19 Resources
- COVID-19 Go-Forward Guidelines for B.C's post-secondary sector.
- Visit the SFU FAQ page for the most up to date information about how SFU is responding to COVID-19.
- Visit the SFU Research FAQ for details about how COVID-19 is impacting research activities.
- Faculty and staff emails related to COVID-19 have been compiled on the VPA website.
- If you need to order personal protection and other COVID-19 related supplies download this pdf.
- As of September 8, 2020 SFU has adopted an interim university-related international travel policy. Please review the interim university-related international travel policy for travel guidance during this time.