For the Academic Calendar Programs, and
Catalogue of Courses in First Nation Studies go to:
Spring 2018 SFU Academic Calendar - click [ HERE ]
FNST CORE Prerequisite courses include:
FNST 101 and FNST 201W.
Spring 2018 (Term 1181)*
- FNST 101-3 Introduction to First Nations Studies (D100 & C100)
- FNST 201W-3 Canadian Aboriginal Peoples' Perspectives
- FNST 222-3 ST-Indigenous Film and Resurgence - NEW!
- FNST 322-3 ST-Ethnoecology of BC First Nations ## - NEW!
- FNST 326-4 History of Aboriginal Peoples Since 1850 ##
- FNST 327-4 Aboriginal Women in Canada ##
- FNST 332-3 Ethnobotany of BC First Nations ##
- FNST 402W The Discourse of Aboriginal Peoples ## (VANCR)
- FNST 403-3 Indigenous Knowledge in the Modern World ## (VANCR)
- FNST 429-3 Indigenous Peoples and International Law ##
- FNST 442-3 Directed Readings in First Nations Studies
- FNST 447-3 Directed Studies in First Nations Studies
- FNST 141, 241, 341, 441-3 - Co-op in First Nations Studies
## - See enrollment priority note below.
For Spring 2018 Course Outlines, visit the SFU Course Outlines Search website beginning November 2017.
FNST Course Outlines : https://www.sfu.ca/outlines.
Bill Reid and the Skidegate Pole.
Photo: George F. MacDonald, 1978
Used with permission of the Bill Reid Centre for Northwest Coast Art Studies.
IAUPP - Spring 2018 Launch
inaugural course for January 2018 launch is
Introductions to First Nations Studies
FNST 101 (3 units) may be applied to the IAUPP requirements.
Course outline: TBA.
Special Addition (an elective course)
FNST 222-3 ST-Indigenous Film and Resurgence**
FNST 326-4 Seats reserved for FNST program declared students) (Combined section course with HIST 326-4 in Spring 2018.)
FNST 327-4 Combined section course with GSWS 327-4 in Spring 2018.
In addition, we have just added an online and distance section of FNST 101 into Spring 2018: FNST 101 C100.
Other courses of interest this term:
1) FNST 403-3 Indigenous Knowledge in the Modern World - VANCR
2) Courses Meeting W-Writing Requirements
FNST 201W-3 Canadian Aboriginal Peoples' Perspectives on History
FNST 402W-3 Discourse of Aboriginal Peoples - VANCR
Online and Distance Education Courses
- FNST 101-3 Introduction to First Nations Studies - Spring 2018: C100 now open.
- FNST 201W-3 Canadian Aboriginal Peoples' Perspectives on History - Summer 2018.
- FNST 401-3 Aboriginal Peoples and Public Policy - Fall 2018.
1) FNST 442 or FNST 447 Directed courses
Enrolment into FNST 442 or FNST 447: Students must have a supervisor (faculty member) in place before enrolling in these Directed courses. For the FNST 442 & FNST 447 project proposal application, click here. Contact FNS Advisor on proposal and/or application processes. Remember to apply/submit course proposal BEFORE enrollment period begins.
2) CODE Courses (online and distance): FNST 101, 201W and 401 CODE sections are listed as a C100 sections when offered.
3) Upper division FNST course enrollment:
Students must complete these pre-requisites before enrollment permission is granted.
**FNST 222-3, when offered, may have non-regular FNST prerequisite requirements. Please contact Department Advisor for details or enrollment permission.
## Priority enrollment:
FNST Academic Programs (FNST)'s Plan-declared students have first priority enrollment into FNST courses.
* This print: November 16, 2017. Course offerings are subject to changes.
Please refer to the Student Information System (SIS) at sis.sfu.ca for latest details.