Research assistants receive invaluable experience in their field. Their responsibilities vary as widely as their fields, but most research assistants will participate in a range of activities from practical research to grant writing to community engagement to presentations of their research.

Research assistants are typically engaged by faculty members and are paid by funds from research grants. The information on this page contains SFU's official policy on research-funded personnel, including graduate students. 

If you are a graduate student who has been engaged as a research assistant, you should be aware of this policy.

Full-time international students with a valid study permit do not need a work permit to be a research assistant on campus. (Citizenship & Immigration Canada: Working on Campus). A Social Insurance Number will be required.