Vision and Mission
The Department of Geography at Simon Fraser University aspires to be globally known for our creative, cutting-edge research that defines the evolving discipline, and for innovative, engaged and relevant teaching at all levels.
The mission of the Department of Geography at Simon Fraser University is to stimulate and promote excellence in geographic scholarship through:
- dedication to the conduct, publication and broader dissemination of leading-edge research that matters;
- commitment to undergraduate students to provide a learning environment that fosters knowledge, skills and experiences that prepare them for life in an ever-changing world, and engages, inspires and challenges them to become informed global citizens;
- commitment to provide a research-based, mentorship model of graduate education, and to graduate masters and doctoral students who meet the highest international standards, and are skillful communicators, and informed and responsible global citizens and leaders;
- service to the community by disseminating geographic knowledge and by providing geographic insights on important societal issues.
- Space and place matter. These are the concepts that bind us as Geographers;
- Diversity. We value foundational and applied research and believe that diversity is a source of innovation.
- The power of ideas. We value creativity, critical thinking and excellence.
- Experiential learning. The field is our natural laboratory and we value experiential learning in its many varied forms.
- Informed citizenry. We value an informed and responsible citizenry who demand and perform sound environmental stewardship.
- Collegiality. We value an environment in which people treat one another with honesty, courtesy and with each other’s best interests in mind. We value inclusive decision making.