Spring interdepartmental CGPE graduate reading group

January 31, 2018

I am going to be restarting the Centre for Global Political Economy graduate reading group next term (Spring, 2018). When I last did it, it was excellent and fun, and connected folks who might not have otherwise met with similar interests across departments.

When I last did it, it was excellent and fun, and connected folks who might not have otherwise met with similar interests across departments.

The details (location and exact time/dates) are not yet determined, but we will meet once a month from January to March, and perhaps beyond depending upon interest and people’s availability. Next semester, each meeting will be organized around a book. The tentative list is:

January: Wendy Brown, Undoing the Demos: Neoliberalism’s Stealth Revolution (MIT 2015)

February: Yanis Varoufakis, Adults in the Room: My Battle with Europe’s Deep Establishment (FSG 2017)

March: James Ferguson, Give a Man a Fish: Reflections on the New Politics of Distribution (Duke 2015)

If we get some numbers, we can perhaps arrange a bulk order through pulpfiction books on Main/Commercial. In the future, we can also hopefully have meetings where students read each other’s work, which was a great thing last round.

(This has gone out to students in S+A, History, Health, Communications, and Poli Sci.) Students who are interested can contact me directly via email (geoffm@sfu.ca), and I will add them to a mailing list for the reading group. Faculty are also welcome, of course - but you have to read the book to come! 

Thanks very much

Geoff

Print