Martha Nussbaum: Anger & Revolutionary Justice
Djavad Mowafaghian Cinema
Goldcorp Centre for the Arts
149 West Hastings Street
March 24th, 2017 7:00 - 9:00pm
Tickets are $10 for students and seniors, $20 for general admission. Tickets are available now and can be purchased here.
We are honoured to be co-hosting esteemed philosopher Martha Nussbaum for a public lecture on "Anger and Revolutionary Justice".
Anger is not just ubiquitous, it is also popular, even though its damages are so clear. Many people think it is impossible to care sufficiently for justice without anger at injustice. Many also believe that it is impossible for individuals to vindicate their own self-respect adequately without anger.
The lecture will argue that anger is conceptually confused and normatively pernicious. It is neither normatively appropriate nor productive in either the personal or the political life. Nussbaum will make the case in a general way, then turn to revolutionary justice, examining the thought and practice of Mohandas Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Nelson Mandela.
This event has been organised by SFU Public Square, SFU Graduate Liberal Studies Program and the SFU Vancity Office of Community Engagement. The lecture will be moderated by SFU's President and Vice-Chancellor, Andrew Petter and will include a keynote presentation, followed by moderated Q & A.
Martha Nussbaum is the Ernst Freund Distinguished Service Professor in Law and Ethics, appointed in the Law School and Philosophy Department. She has received numerous awards and honorary degrees for her work. Her most recent work is entitled Anger and Forgiveness: Resentment, Generosity, Justice (2016).
News and Events
- Upcoming GLS MA Defences, Summer 2017
- Save the Date! July 14: A Night of Curated GLS artists & our Summer Social
- Roberta Staley featured by Vancouver and MS Magazines
- Announcing the 2017 Shadbolt Seminar Series: "Arts, Criticism and the City"
- Congratulations to Julie Andreyev, the first SAR/GLS PhD Candidate to successfully defend her Doctoral dissertation!
- Martha Nussbaum Event Photo Gallery
- Andrew Czink, Featured by FASS
- Julie Andreyev: PhD Thesis Defence
- Big Idea Seminar Series - Spring 2017
- Martha Nussbaum: Anger & Revolutionary Justice
- Catriona Strang's Thesis Project Performance - February 18, 2017
- GLS Open House - February 22, 2017
- Evening Seminar with Dr. Rebecca Scott Yoshizawa
- GLS Open House - January 9, 2017
- GLS Featured on Roundhouse Radio