Immigrant Women in the Workplace
Dr. Habiba Zaman will be one of the speakers at this community evnet:
IMMIGRANT WOMEN IN THE WORKPLACE
Race, Gender and Class in the Hospitality industry
Saturday, November 5, 2016
2:00pm to 4:00pm
City Center Library – Surrey - Room 405.
10350 University Drive
Contact Dr. Cinmoy Bannerjee President, SANSAD
at email@example.com - 604.421.6752
Join us on Saturday, November 5th, to discuss how race, gender and immigration intersect in the
workplace. At this event we will hear from women in the hospitality industry, academics, and organizations working for change in the workplace.
The Hospitality industry is where a number of immigrants, particularly women, find their first jobs. These jobs are often precarious, physically demanding, and can result in pain and injury. It is possible to transform these invisible and undervalued positions into good jobs that support families and allow immigrants to establish themselves if workers unite for change with support from the community.
Join us in our effort to make a difference.
• Charan Gill – Progressive Intercultural Community Services
• Habiba Zaman – SFU Professor in Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies
• Harinder Mahil – Former Chair of the Human Rights Commission of BC
• Chin Banerjee – South Asian Network For Secularism and Democracy
• Octavian Cadabeschi – UNITE HERE Local 40
• Several housekeepers from the Sheraton Vancouver Airport