- The Social and Economic History of the Middle Byzantine Period
- Byzantine Rural Society and Culture
- The Medieval/Byzantine Peasantry
- Middle Byzantine Historiography
- Environmental Approaches to Byzantine History
- MA, History (Byzantine), Bogaziçi University
- BSc, Medical Physics, Bogaziçi University
Born of dual British-Turkish citizenship in Istanbul, I first completed a BSc in Physics at Bogaziçi University, Istanbul. Following this, I began pursuing my interests in Medieval History with an MA in Byzantine History at Bogaziçi University. Now I am pursuing a PhD on Byzantine History in the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Centre for Hellenic Studies / History Department at Simon Fraser University in Vancouver, Canada.
Journal articles and book chapters
- “Imagining Peasant Identity in Middle Byzantine Narrative Sources”, in the Handbook of Identity in Byzantium, Routledge. Editors: D. Parnell, M. Stewart and C. Whately. (planned).
- “Social Boundaries in Middle Byzantine Narratives: The Case of the Peasantry” Presented at the 19th Annual Interdisciplinary Graduate Student Conference, Vancouver, BC, University of British Columbia, March 10 2019.
- “Discursive Topoi on the Byzantine Peasantry: The Approaches of Middle Byzantine Historians” Presented at The Oxford University Byzantine Society’s 21st International Graduate Conference - Oxford, U.K., February 23 2019.
- “The Conditions and Perception of the Byzantine Peasantry in Narrative Accounts from the Eleventh and Twelfth Centuries” Presented at 44th Annual Byzantine Studies Conference (BSC) 2018 - San Antonio, Texas, October 5 2018.
- 2018 - 2022, Graduate Dean’s Entrance Scholarship (GDES) - Simon Fraser University
- 2017 - 2018, Andrew W. Mellon Byzantine Studies Graduate Scholarship - Bogazici University
- 2017, U.K. Classical Association Scholarship (For I.B.G.S.S. Trinity College, Dublin)
- 2015, Undergraduate Honours Certificate/Award - Bogazici University
- 2008, A.P. (Advanced Placement) Scholar with Distinction Award