- SNF New Media Lab
- Faculty + Staff
The Stavros Niarchos Foundation Centre for Hellenic Studies is the official examination centre for Greater Vancouver and Western Canada for the Centre for the Greek Language of the Hellenic Ministry of Education.
What is the Ellinomatheia?
The Ellinomatheia or Certificate of Attainment in Greek was established in November 1998 (Presidential Decree 363/98) by the Ministry of Education in response to a persistant demand from learners of Greek in Greece and abroad, for official state recognition of their language level. The Centre for Greek Language (CGL) in Thessaloniki has been assigned the exclusive and overall responsibility for the examination procedure and has been conducting the examinations since 1999.
Why should I get the Certificate of Attainment in Greek?
The Certificate of Attainment in Greek...
- provides any user of Greek with an expert and objective opinion regarding the level of their knowledge and language skills
- serves as proof of the successful candidate's level of attainment in Greek in the work market
- is a requirement for the practice of various professions in Greece
- allows citizens of European Union member states to participate in the examination of the Supreme Council of Personnel Selection (ΑΣΕΠ) for civil service positions (The Supreme Council specifies the required level of certificate in every announcement)
- at Level B2 allows foreigners to register at a Greek institution of higher education, in case they do not have a Greek secondary education certificate (M.R. 152/Β6/1504/30-5-2001 – Official Government Gazette 659 vol.Β΄)
- at Level C2 allows citizens of European Union member states to prove complete knowledge and fluent use of the Greek language and thus be employed in a Greek institution of higher education.
When will the next examinations be held?
Exam dates are posted on the website of the Centre for the Greek Language (CGL). Be sure to check that page regularly for updates and registration details.
The next exams will be held in May of 2022. See the upcoming exam dates and find out when registration opens.
I would like to register my child for an exam. How can I pay the registration fees?
The SNF Centre for Hellenic Studies at SFU does not process registrations. To do this, you must contact the Centre for the Greek Language (CGL) directly. Following registration, fees are then collected by the SNF Centre. Please make cheques payable to the "SNF Centre for Hellenic Studies at SFU". In the memo section of the cheque, please include examination centre number "11004", the name of the candidate, and reference that the payment is for Ellinomatheia exams.
Contact email@example.com if you have questions regarding payment.
Does the SNF Centre develop the content in the examinations?
No. The SNF Centre invigilates the exam only, it has no influence in the creation of exams.
Does the SNF Centre dictate what date examinations will be held?
No. The Centre for the Greek Language (CGL), an external body, makes all of these decisions. They have sole ownership over the exams, including the content, registration and exam dates. The SNF Centre supports examinations by offering a physical space as well as qualified invigilators.
Registration Dates Announced for May 2022
Registration will open on February 1st, 2022, and close on March 20th, 2022. To register, contact the Centre for the Greek Language (CGL) directly. SFU's SNF Centre for Hellenic Studies does not manage registrations.
For more information about the exams, please visit the website of the Centre for the Greek Language or email them directly.