- SNF Centre for Hellenic Studies
- Faculty + Staff
The Stavros Niarchos Foundation Centre for Hellenic Studies is the official examination centre for Greater Vancouver and Western Canada for the Centre for the Greek Language of the Hellenic Ministry of Education.
What is the Ellinomatheia?
The Ellinomatheia or Certificate of Attainment in Greek was established in November 1998 (Presidential Decree 363/98) by the Ministry of Education in response to a persistant demand from learners of Greek in Greece and abroad, for official state recognition of their language level. The Centre for Greek Language in Thessaloniki has been assigned the exclusive and overall responsibility for the examination procedure and has been conducting the examinations since 1999.
Why should I get the Certificate of Attainment in Greek?
The Certificate of Attainment in Greek...
- provides any user of Greek with an expert and objective opinion regarding the level of their knowledge and language skills
- serves as proof of the successful candidate's level of attainment in Greek in the work market
- is a requirement for the practice of various professions in Greece
- allows citizens of European Union member states to participate in the examination of the Supreme Council of Personnel Selection (ΑΣΕΠ) for civil service positions (The Supreme Council specifies the required level of certificate in every announcement)
- at Level B2 allows foreigners to register at a Greek institution of higher education, in case they do not have a Greek secondary education certificate (M.R. 152/Β6/1504/30-5-2001 – Official Government Gazette 659 vol.Β΄)
- at Level C2 allows citizens of European Union member states to prove complete knowledge and fluent use of the Greek language and thus be employed in a Greek institution of higher education.
When are the 2020 exams?
Originally scheduled for May, the Ellinomatheia exams have been postponed until the fall of 2020 in order to protect the health and safety of our community during the COVID-19 pandemic. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Centre for Greek Language directly.
For more information about the exams, please visit the website of the Centre for the Greek Language or email them directly.