The Slender Thread: Irish Women on the Southern Avalon Peninsula of Newfoundland, 1750-1860. (New York: Columbia University Press, http://www.gutenberg-e.org, 2006; print edition 2008.)
I was born on the eastern edge of the easternmost province, where iron cliff-face meets the roiling waters of the North Atlantic. I am the granddaughter of fishers, and the daughter of a one-room-schoolteacher (later, human rights commissioner) and a cooperative fieldworker/labour newspaper editor (later, cabinet minister), who met when they were working on another west coast, in a resettled community on the Port-au-Port Peninsula. My own working background has been eclectic. I've been a barmaid, a teacher of music and dance, a researcher/writer, copy-editor, legal assistant, and secondary teacher before settling into academia. I came to Simon Fraser University in 2005 and currently live in Kitsilano. I am still amazed to find myself in a place where I must face west to see the ocean and north to see the "Southside Hills."
Negotiations of gender and ethnicity; contested ethnic terrains and communal violence; interaction between formal and informal belief systems; cultural memory.
- "Contested Terrains: Ethnic and Gendered Spaces in the Harbour Grace Affray," Canadian Historical Review 90, no. 1 (2009): 29-70.
- "Creating the 'Irish Loop': Cultural Renaissance or Commodification of Ethnic Identity in an Imagined Tourist Landscape?" Forthcoming in the Canadian Journal of Irish Studies / Revue canadienne d'Ètudes irlandaises 34, no. 2 (Fall 2008): 5-24.
- "The 'Old Hag' Revisits St. Brigid: Irish-Newfoundland Women and the Spiritual Life of Southern Avalon Communities," in Weather's Edge: A Compendium of Women's Lives in Newfoundland and Labrador , ed. Linda Cullum, Carmelita McGrath, and Marilyn Porter (St. John's: Killick Press, 2006): 11-22.
- "'Now you vagabond [w]hore I have you': Plebeian Women, Assault Cases, and Gender and Class Relations on the Southern Avalon, 1750-1860," in Two Islands: The Legal Histories of Newfoundland and Prince Edward Island, ed. Christopher English (Toronto: University of Toronto Press with the Osgoode Society, 2006): 237-71.
- "Ethnicity as Intercultural Dialogue in Eighteenth- and Nineteenth-Century Newfoundland." Canadian Journal of Irish Studies / Revue canadienne d'Ètudes irlandaises 31, no.1 (spring 2005): 18-28.
- "The Riddle of Peggy Mountain: The Regulation of Irish Women's Sexuality on the Southern Avalon, 1750-1860." Acadiensis 31, no.2 (spring 2002): 36-70. Reprinted in R. Douglas Francis and Donald B. Smith, eds., Readings in Canadian History: Pre-Confederation, 7th ed. (Toronto: Thomson Nelson, 2007).
- "The 'Old Hag' Meets St. Brigid: Irish Women and the Intersection of Belief Systems on the Southern Avalon." An Nasc 15 (spring 2001): 12-25.
- "Bringing Ordinary Lives out from the Shadows: Court Records, Oral History, and Irish Women on the Southern Avalon." The Newfoundland Ancestor 15, no. 4 (winter 1999): 181-92.
- "Essay Evocation," in 3817: gender evocations, ed. Astrid Brunner (Halifax: AB Collector Publishing, 1995), 1-4.
Areas of Graduate Supervision:
Irish and Canadian history, with special interests in gender, ethnicity, immigration, oral history, cultural history, and the politics of memory.
Pre-Confederation Canadian History; Ireland from Penal Era to Partition; Religion, Ethnicity, and Politics in Twentieth-Century Northern Ireland; Conceptualizing Atlantic Canada; Gender and History; Oral History-Theories and Practices.
Notable Major Awards
- SSHRC Aid to Research Workshops and Conferences in Canada Grant, 2010.
- SSHRC Standard Research Grant, 2008-2011. "Seal Wars: Conflicting Masculinities at the Labrador Front."
- President's Research Grant, 2005-7, Simon Fraser University.
- SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship and Research Grant, 2004-5.
- Postdoctoral Fellowship and Research Grant, Institute of Social and Economic Research (ISER), Memorial University of Newfoundland, 2002-4.
- Gutenberg-e Prize, American Historical Association, 2003, for doctoral thesis.
- Certificate of Recognition of Excellence, School of Graduate Studies, Memorial, 2002.
- Fellow of the School of Graduate Studies, Memorial, 2001.
- SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship, 1998-2001.
- ISER Doctoral Research Grant, 1998-99.
- ISER Student Essay Prize, 2000.
- Albert George Hatcher Memorial Scholarship, Memorial, 1997-98.
- Graduate Fellowship (Ph.D.), Memorial, 1997-2000 (declined).
- Graduate Fellowship (M.A.), Memorial, 1996-97.
- University Medal for Academic Excellence in Secondary Education, Memorial, 1996.