Benefits Past Your Normal Retirement Date
If you continue working beyond your normal retirement date which is the September 1st following your 65th birthday (for librarians, the first of the month following your 65th birthday), please be advised of the following changes to your benefits:
1. Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage is discontinued.
2. Basic Life Insurance is reduced to 1x your normal annual salary.
3. You will no longer be eligible to apply for Long Term Disability should you not be able to work due to disability.
4. Special Leave of Absence for Illness: Once sick leave entitlement has been exhausted, and if you were unable to return to work and perform the full scope of your duties, you may elect to retire or to remain on unpaid leave of absence for a maximum of 24 months.
5. If you are enrolled in Optional Life Insurance, you may continue your coverage until you reach the age of 70.
6. The University’s pension contributions will continue until you elect to retire from SFU or if earlier, the November 30th of the year you turn age 71.