Staff Recognition Tips and Resources
It is important to appreciate employee contributions and achievements in a timely and appropriate way to positively influence performance, open channels of communication, improve staff retention, enhance self-worth and confidence, build mutual respect and trust, and reinforce university values and commitments.
Some powerful recognition ideas may include:
- Simply saying "thank you" or "great job"
- Writing a personal note of thanks
- Having a senior executive send a note of thanks
- Providing variable and/or challenging work assignments for employees interested in cross training or acquiring new skills
- Providing work related training and skills upgrading opportunities
- Providing temporary promotion opportunities
- Hosting a group lunch
- Taking the employee out for lunch
- Providing an interest related gift
- SFU logo gift/bookstore gift certificate
- Inspirational poster