Visiting Research Students (Undergraduate)

Qualified Visiting Research Students are admitted to SFU in order to foster the exchange of ideas, receive specialized training and participate in research collaboration.

International students are admitted as non-credit seeking students typically for one term (4 months) but visits may be as brief as one month.

Admission Requirements

Visiting Research Students at Simon Fraser University must meet the following criteria:

  • Registered full-time at their home institution in an undergraduate program, in good academic standing, and proficient in the English language.
  • Must not take graduate or undergraduate courses while attending SFU.
  • Be able to pay fees to cover student activity fees and the U-Pass BC transit pass.
  • Be able to demonstrate adequate hospital and medical coverage for the duration of their stay OR provide proof of alternative coverage. 

Application Process

* The type of visa that a visiting research student requires depends on a number of factors including length of stay, purpose of visit, and funding source.

Step 1

Establish a research agreement with a faculty member in a department or school with compatible research interests. Here are some tips for finding a supervisor.

Step 2

Complete the Visiting Research Student form and submit it with current transcript and all required documents to your host Department. 

Forward the approval to the Office of the Registrar, Undergraduate Records (Registrar).

Step 3

Office of the Registrar, Undergraduate Records:
Send the admission letter to the student.

Apply for the appropriate immigration status (visitor, student, worker) advised by your host department upon receiving the admission letter from SFU.

Step 4

Submit proof of your medical insurance to the Registrar and Information Services front counter in person (Maggie Benston Centre, Burnaby campus) or by email to

Register for UGRAD 400.

Immigration Application

Conducting Research at SFU for less than 120 days:
Visiting research students may come to Canada under visitor status for which a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) will be required, depending on the country of citizenship.

However, we encourage visiting research students to apply for a study permit if there is a possibility of extending their studies in Canada as it’s easier to do so within Canada. Alternatively, visiting research students can apply for a study permit outside of Canada if their main purpose is to enroll in courses at SFU.

Conducting research for more than 120 days:
Visiting research students are not permitted to enroll in regular courses at SFU (other than GRAD 800), therefore a work permit is required for your visit. The host department should contact for more information. If you wish to take courses beyond GRAD 800, you will need to be admitted as an exchange student and not a visiting research student. As an exchange student you will need to apply for a study permit. Please see Study Permit Application Tips for further instructions.

If the main purpose is to conduct research and not to enroll in courses beyond GRAD800, a work permit is required for your visit and the host department should contact



International Student Advisor/RCIC
International Services for Students (ISS)

External Contacts

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
1.888.242.2100 (toll-free, in Canada only)

British Columbia Provincial Nominee Program

Service Canada offices in British Columbia (Social Insurance Numbers)