- As of September 2017, SFU has approximately 4,908 international undergraduate students and 1,379 international graduate students for a total of over 6,285 international students.
- Full time international students represent 19% of the total undergraduate population and 28% of the graduate population.
- In 2016, 252 SFU students participated in outbound student exchanges through formal exchange programs and SFU received 304 students through formal exchange partners, inbound study abroad programs and inbound special programs. 51 SFU students participated in SFU field schools. There were 329 work practicums in over 26 countries in the International Co-op Program.
- SFU has 210 partnership agreements in over 70 countries.
- Exchanges, field schools, work abroad and other study abroad options are available in over 50 countries.
- There are research and international development activities in over 55 countries.