Technology, Innovation, Management & Entrepreneurship
In 1999 TIME Ventures launched VANTEC, the Angel Technology Network of the Vancouver Enterprise Forum, and continues to host their monthly meetings. VANTEC provides networking and support for many start-up companies in the Lower Mainland and across BC by linking early-stage investors and mentors to promising technology ventures.
With funding support from Western Economic Diversification and Industry Canada, the TIME Centre engaged Rocket Builders, a local firm, to examine the impact VANTEC has had on technology ventures in BC. The goal of the study was two-fold: to help companies prepare good proposals for angel investors, and to recruit more angels. The survey found that VANTEC’s reputation as a successful angel investment forum is justified when it is compared to angel networks across North America.
Some highlights from the report:
- 50% of the companies that present at VANTEC raise angel funds, which is a very high success rate
- The mean amount of angel investment reported by companies was $250,000
- 20% of presenting companies go on to secure venture capital, and the total amount raised since 1999 exceeds $200 million
- 85% of the 235 companies that presented at VANTEC have continued to grow and prosper
- The presenting companies have created approximately 1,000 jobs since VANTEC’s inception in 1999.
For more information contact:
SFU TIME Innovation Centre