Consent and Information Collection and Use
We may use your personal or account information for the following purposes:
- to administer the Competition and other programs in which you participate;
- to help us address problems with and improve the Website, the Competition and/or our products and services;
- to request feedback and otherwise contact you about your use of the Website, the Competition and/or our products and services;
- to notify you about important changes to the Website, the Competition and/or our products and services;
- for our internal business purposes, such as to analyze trends and statistics, for audits, to develop new products, to enhance the Website and/or the Competition, to improve our products and services, to identify usage trends and to determine the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns;
- to protect the security or integrity of the Website, the Competition, our products and services and our business;
- to contact you if necessary regarding your transactions with us, changes to our terms, conditions, and policies and/or for other administrative purposes;
- to respond to your requests for support or customer service;
- in an emergency situation to protect your personal safety or that of site visitors or any third party;
- in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of assets, financing or acquisition, or in any other situation involving the transfer of all or part of the business assets;
- with your consent when required, to communicate with you and to send you information by email, postal mail, telephone, text message, or other means about our products, services, contests, and promotions; or
- as required or authorized by law.
You also may provide personal information to be published or displayed on public areas of the Website or in connection with the Competition, or transmitted to other users of the Website, others involved with the Competition, or third parties (collectively, “User Contributions“). Your User Contributions are published or displayed on the Website or in connection with the Competition and transmitted to others at your own risk. We cannot control the actions of other users of the Website or others involved with the Competition with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
Sharing of Personal Information
We may share your personal information with certain service providers, including without limitation outside shipping companies, vendors, consultants, judges, mentors, and sponsors (“Service Providers“). When we engage Service Providers who manage customer information on our behalf and/or perform services on our behalf, such as conducting surveys, sending communications, judging the Competition or providing mentorship in connection with the Competition, we may share your personal information with such Service Providers under the requirement that such personal information is used only to provide services to us.
We are not responsible for the actions of any independent third parties you may choose to engage with directly, nor are we responsible for any additional information you provide directly to any third parties, and we encourage you to become familiar with their privacy practices before disclosing information directly to any such parties
Rights to Your Information
We strive to ensure that any personal information we retain and use is accurate, complete and up-to-date as necessary for the purposes for which we will use it. If our records regarding your personal information are inaccurate or incomplete, we will amend that information at your request.
We may also use your personal information. Website usage statistics and Competition related statistics to generate Aggregated Data for internal use and for sharing with others on a selective basis. “Aggregated Data” means records which have been stripped of information potentially identifying customers or users, and which have been manipulated or combined to provide generalized, anonymous information. Your identity and personal information will be kept anonymous in Aggregated Data.
Cookies and Log Files
Most Web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove cookies and to reject cookies. If you choose to remove cookies or reject cookies, this could affect certain features or functionality of the Website.
Change of Ownership or Business Transition
In the event of a change of ownership or other business transition, such as a merger, acquisition or sale of our assets, your information may be updated in accordance with applicable privacy laws.
We will strive to prevent unauthorized access to your personal information, however, no data transmission, including over the Internet, by wireless device or over the air, is guaranteed to be 100% secure. We will continue to enhance security procedures as new technologies and procedures become available. Please remember that you control what personal information you provide while using the Website and/or participating in the Competition. Ultimately, you are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of any personal information provided in connection with the use of the Website and/or your participation in the Competition. Always be careful and responsible regarding your personal information. We are not responsible for, and cannot control, the use by others of any information which you provide to them and you should use caution in selecting the personal information you provide to others through the Website or in connection with the Competition. Similarly, we cannot assume any responsibility for the content of any personal information or other information which you receive from other users through the Website or in connection with the Competition, and you release us from any and all liability in connection with the contents of any personal information or other information which you may receive using the Website or in connection with the Competition. We cannot guarantee, or assume any responsibility for verifying, the accuracy of the personal information or other information provided by any third party. You release us from any and all liability in connection with the use of such personal information or other information of others.
In order to be compliant with the FREEDOM OF INFORMATION AND PROTECTION OF PRIVACY ACT (http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/consol26/consol26/96165_00),
You may be requested to “Opt In” to acknowledge that some data may reside on servers outside of Canada.
You may wish to opt out of receiving certain information and marketing or promotional materials from CCS-VC. You may do so by contacting us at: Venture1@sfu.ca
Last updated: December 22, 2016